Synthetic replacements (1 Viewer)

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I was a little thrown by this dot point

Identify data, gather and process information to identify and discuss the issues associated with the increased need for a natural resource that is not a fossil fuel and evaluate the progress currently being made to solve the problems identified

the current progress thing, does that mean we have to use one that is currently being researched - as in, would rubber/synthetic rubber be ruled out because it hasn't changed much recently. I lost a mark for this in my trial, so i'm wondering whether i need to pick a different resource, and if so, what...

nesstar

It really depends on who devises the marking scheme...because I've noticed some teachers at my school were annoyed that everyone chose rubber/whale oil/ivory which are clearly not current, and some teachers don't care. As I pointed out to these teachers, that's what's in the textbooks.
So, it would probably be good to find a current one, but it is downright mean to take a mark off someone for it not being current if that is what is in the textbooks...
If someone does find a good current one, id b interested in changing mine!

mystify

HSC
mervvyn said:
I was a little thrown by this dot point

Identify data, gather and process information to identify and discuss the issues associated with the increased need for a natural resource that is not a fossil fuel and evaluate the progress currently being made to solve the problems identified

the current progress thing, does that mean we have to use one that is currently being researched - as in, would rubber/synthetic rubber be ruled out because it hasn't changed much recently. I lost a mark for this in my trial, so i'm wondering whether i need to pick a different resource, and if so, what...

I can assure you that you can still use synthetic rubber as a replacement for natural rubber. I think you lost a mark because you didnt mention that CURRENT RESEARCH is aimed at producing biodegradable synthetic rubber to replace the non-biodegradable synthetic rubber so that it does not pose further environmental harm. You can also mention that the synthetic rubber is now being recycled to reuse in various products (tyres, shoes etc).
Just remember that the marking scheme for the HSC has to follow what students across all of NSW have been taught from various text books. Synthetic rubber can be found in countless text books so it should be more than okay to use. :)

FESTAR

Yeh mate, im havin the same problem, i chose synthetic replacements for traditional rubber such as SBR, but i noticed what you said about current research into biodegradable synthetic replacements etc. The issue i have is that i cant find any info on such a polymer. Yeps so if you have identified a specific polymer or group of polymers that satisfy the requirements of the dot point it would be much appreciated if you shared.
Cheers.
Adam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)