synthesising help! (1 Viewer)

frootloop

HSC
I've looked around this forum and looked at some people's comments on what synthesising is, but i just don't get it.

I admit i write one chunk for a text, one line of linking (i guess it isn't really synthesising after all-sigh) and then move on to the next text. I also am a pretty average english student and I want to change this. on my last essay i got a zero out of a possible seven for my attempt at synthesising. luckily probably 80- 90% of the grade got zero for synthesising. :)

i'm intrigued by this idea of linking the themes and stuff like that as a form of synthesising, but won't it get messy and wouldn't you miss things out? Also with the journey the main focus is the obstacles that are faced- would you link it that way?

i think i'm just confusing myself even more now. would it be possible for someone to post a well-synthesised essay onto this site? i hate how the teachers just skim over how to synthesise and expect us to know how to do it! :mad:

does anyone have any advice? (i gather that using the word 'similarly' is out, hehehe)

69^boi

HSC
N/A
Synthesis juz basically means to organize it, put in order and in an understanble way hope that helps dude

69^boi

HSC
N/A
by the way wots ya secret to studying english?? i dont how to study

monique66

What you need to do is not to stick to huge paragraphs. Your paragraphs should represent an idea not a text. For example if you are talking about journeys don't talk about each one of you texts in a separate paragraph. What synthesising means is bringing the discussion together, e.g instead of a paragraph about 1 text write a paragraph about the beginning of journeys, then in the same paragraph demonstrate how each of you texts does this. Basically highlight the similarities and differences of each text each, but in the same paragraph. Dun worry it took me an age to get this as well...

HSC
N/A
69^boi said:
Synthesis juz basically means to organize it, put in order and in an understanble way hope that helps dude
NOOOOOO!!!

*glitterfairy collapses in an apoleptic fit*

Ok, I'm recovered now. Synthesising goes NOT means to just "organise it". It could be said that synthesising means to analyse texts in a SOPHISTICATED manner, looking at similarities, differences, common themes etc within different texts without needing to rely on elementary forms such a chunka munka paragraphs to convey a smooth, consistant line of thought and/or arguement.

For example:

"In (text 1) the use of ___technique___ has been used to accentuate __blah__. In doing so the composer compels the audience into looking at their own _blah_ la la blah blah. ______, in (text 2) follows a similar theme by ______ ...."

You won't always be able to talk about ALL your texts within the one paragraph, but it is definately a good idea to get into the habit of talking about ideas (or notions, if you wish) rather than just parroting out a whole list of generic information that does not answer the question.

In Journeys, it's good to write in themes/notions and have a similar notion from your supplementary text. E.g. I did Kubla Khan and said how a negative (don't use this word in your exams! I should say maybe unwholesome) aspect of the journey is that it's easy to get lost in an alternate reality. Coleridge used opium crystals and was in a "reverie" when he wrote it and it's easy to become overwhelmed in one's senses on an imaginative journey. I then used a scene from Heavenly Creatures (by Peter Jackson) to support that aspect of the IJ. I did one paragraph on the text and went through the techniques by going through the text in order (going over the main points and quotes) and I'd relate it to my supplementary text.

I write in paragraphs myself. I focus on like one text or issue in each paragraph and go through it systematically. I can't integrate myself as I might get confused (I'm a science brain and I want to go through it in an orderly manner). Worst case, you might mention a point twice if you integrate it slightly, or you could pencil it down in the margin or something so you incorporate it later (if it just comes to you whilst writing).

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
ok, very simply, synthesis is where you take one idea from text and another idea form a different text and use them to extrapolate your own conclusion. for example, you might have an article that is talking bout paralympians and how they should just be called athletes rather than "disabled athletes" and another text which deals with a similar concept, such as that stupid book "herstory" which talks about feminist archaeology and how "history" favours the male point of view. anyway, synthesis is where you use both of these texts (with supporting examples) to come to your own conclusion, such as the postmodern concept of language being a barrier to higher understanding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)