SYNTHESIS REACTIONS MOD 8 (HSC 2022 Q33) (1 Viewer)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Guys I'm not really sure what to do for this inquiry question in general, but for this question in 2022 HSC I'm planning to just talk about making ethyl ethanoate from ethene....

Screen Shot 2023-10-25 at 9.29.04 am.png

What would you guys do for this????

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Guys I'm not really sure what to do for this inquiry question in general, but for this question in 2022 HSC I'm planning to just talk about making ethyl ethanoate from ethene....

View attachment 41080

Firstly that’s the best topic in the syllabus no cap

secondly ur not meant to be getting help from others what happened to timed conditions

Grand Master IUPAC

HSC
Bro, my teacher put this question in one of our assessment tasks. I just talked about esterification.
Selection of reagents: Alcohol and carboxylic acid. I did methanol and butanoic acid, since we used those in our ester prac in class.
Reaction conditions: Must be under reflux, plus using a concentrated H2SO4 catalyst.
Hazards and safety: Use of heating mantle or hot plate (no open flames because of alcohol). H2SO4 and butanoic acid handled with gloves in a fume hood due to corrosiveness. Use of boiling chips to prevent bumping of mixture, etc.
Yield and purity: Not pure due to some reactants and water left inside flask, can be distilled further to increase purity and yield.

SB257426

Very Important User
HSC

View attachment 41080

I am doing the contact process but you would just talk about the procedure thats all. In the end you would wanna talk about the risks and stuff.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I am doing the contact process but you would just talk about the procedure thats all. In the end you would wanna talk about the risks and stuff.
i was gonna write about that cos i did it for my depth study but then it says in a school laboratory though. i ended up switching to esterification cos you can do that in the school lab but is it possible for the contact process to be done in the lab too? closest thing my cohort did to making oleum and sulfuric acid was using a computer simulation of the contact process instead 💀

Luukas.2

HSC

View attachment 41080

Much wiser to start from ethanol than from ethene, hydrating ethene (a gas) to ethanol is not a school lab activity.

SB257426

Very Important User
HSC
i was gonna write about that cos i did it for my depth study but then it says in a school laboratory though. i ended up switching to esterification cos you can do that in the school lab but is it possible for the contact process to be done in the lab too? closest thing my cohort did to making oleum and sulfuric acid was using a computer simulation of the contact process instead 💀
i didnt end up reading the words "school lab" so lol contact process cant be done in a lab i think. You need smelters and stuff for production of S02 and im pretty sure school labs cant offer 400-450 degress temp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)