Sylvia (1 Viewer)

Sasky

HSC
Sylvia - directed by Christine Jeffs and starring Gwyneth Paltrow:

The tragic and true story of mid-century poetess Sylvia Plath, a Fulbright scholar and golden girl whose mental instability undermined her success as a writer, destroyed her marriage and ultimately led to her suicide. (Hollywood.com)

- What do you guys think? I'm kinda really waiting for this film to come out, especially knowing it to be directed by Jeffs - who also directed 'Rain' (recommended) - and that it stars GP. I hope it's not a flop, and really hoping it'll be better recieved than 'The Hours'.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i cant wait for "sylvia" to b released! i thought the hours was excellent (the book is even better!). wat do u mean by not being better received?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i really liked the hours... i personally thought meryl streep played a better role than nicole kidman though

i want to see sylvia, i've heard good things about it, and i'm (maybe stupidly) putting trust in gwenyth paltrow not to play a bad role.

Sasky

HSC
Kidman - thou I am a mega fan - wasn't as good a Woolfe as I wished for. I've read all her (VW) journals and quite a few of her books, but Streep really made up for the disappointment - as she usually does. With the film in general I loved the whole switching of characters and time frames - as in the book - it was only some of the acting I was disappointed in.
Yeah, I really want to see Gwyneth, I'm also a fan of hers too.

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
i think in the "Hours" the best actress was Julianne Moore, not Nicole (her role was the way too short) and Steep.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by piccaninny
i think in the "Hours" the best actress was Julianne Moore, not Nicole (her role was the way too short) and Steep.
kidman was excellent, amazing!! way better than julie ann moore although it might be a close call when it comes to meryl streep coz she was great as well .... i loved the moment when she spun her head back and gave that death stare!! she didnt win the oscar for nothing!
i hope gwyneth paltrow doesnt let "sylvia" down...im really looking forward to watching it....

Sasky

HSC
I think Nicole's preformance was too short to properly judge her as an ideal Virgina Woolfe, but it had some potential, and your right picc, J. Moore was really good too.

Sasky

HSC
It's coming out tomorrow everyone!
If anyone gets to see it before me, pop in here and please, please, tell us how you liked it! *Fingers crossed*

holl

Hey everyone, I saw it last week. It was an advanced screening at my local cinema. I thought the movie was REALLY good. I dont think you would enjoy it however if you have no prior knowlege in the Hughes/Plath saga as it was a little slow. We did the birthday letters last year and i read all about the couple and each of their lives during the study of the poems so i really enjoyed it. It was AMAZING how much Paltrow and Craig looked like Hughes and Plath. The detail was fantastic, at school we had a picture of sylvia with her 2 childern in a park with her hair done up in plats and there was a scene where she looked exactally the same as in the photo. There were many scenes that were like the exact images written in the birthday letters and sylvias diarys. For anyone who did the birthday letters or has an interest in Hughes and Plath, I recommend it.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i had to watch the hours twice to understand what was happening.. after my first viewing i didnt even realise the little kid was the guy who had aids.. lol
i really liked it.. im getting into the movies where u have to think about things.. sylvia sounds interesting
ummm can anyone tell me about the hughes/plath saga.. briefly?

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
hey i am at china at the momment..so i dunno when it will come out in syd? anione knows?....

and from what Holl has said.. the movie sounds lyk its worth a watch.....

anione has seen Birthday Girl? i thought nicole kidman in that was excellent..

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
was that the movie when she was the russian mail bride?

Sasky

HSC
Yeah Sarah, it was - have u seen it?
And Sylvia came out on Thursday in Syd.

Dave85

HSC
im looking forward 2 it heaps. i did plath in english (which i didnt enjoy) but 4 some reason i wana c the movie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)