Syllabus vs Textbook (1 Viewer)

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Pretend you get a question about 'Issues associated with trends in the balance of payments', would you structure your response as the syllabus dotpoints outline below:

Issues associated with trends in the balance of payments, including:
• terms of trade
• size of the current account balance as a percentage of Gross Domestic Product
• foreign debt and foreign liabilities
– debt and equity
• international competitiveness
• structural change in the Australian economy

OR

How the Leading Edge textbook says:

Issues and trends of the Balance of Payments:
• The structure of Australia’s export base; focused on commodities- benefited from
• International competitiveness.
• Structural Change
• Terms of Trade:
• Cost of servicing foreign liabilities
• National Savings

Thanks for your help.

cs01001

HSC
Doesn't really make a big differnce, but I would say go with syllabus.

gnrlies

HSC
It is not a good idea to think this way.

Thinking that the structure to any essay can be derived from the HSC syllabus, or the headings of a textbook is not going to produce an organic answer that deals with the specifics of the question. Unlike in business studies, economics questions tend to require a synthesis of many topics which requires the ability to think and construct a structure.

shakky15

HSC
gnrlies said:

Thinking that the structure to any essay can be derived from the HSC syllabus, or the headings of a textbook is not going to produce an organic answer that deals with the specifics of the question. Unlike in business studies, economics questions tend to require a synthesis of many topics which requires the ability to think and construct a structure.
well said...

HSC
gnrlies said:

That's what I was thinking.

Sure you might want to know the syllabus to get an idea of things to include but don't just fill in the blanks on an essay with syllabus headings like you can get away with in biz.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Thanks for that everyone- i was thinking that it was like business studies where you should have a set structure, but i understand now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)