Syllabus point (1 Viewer)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
for hydration, dilute H+ (H2SO4 will do)
for dehydration, conc H+ (H2SO4)

ibbi00

HSC
Like all catalysts, it reduces the activation energy required for the reaction to proceed. Nothing more specific from memory =(

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Identify the need for a catalyst. Not identify the catalyst.
I assume this is in reference to the hydration of ethylene into ethanol? A catalyst is needed in order to allow the reaction to proceed by lowering the activation energy and helps to break apart the double bond in the ethylene. If there is no catalyst, nothing will occur between then two substances.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
A catalyst is needed because the acid breaks the C-H and C-OH bonds, this allows for formation of a double bond. Water itself cannot break the double bond as it isnt reactive enough

ibbi00

HSC
A catalyst is needed because the acid breaks the C-H and C-OH bonds, this allows for formation of a double bond. Water itself cannot break the double bond as it isnt reactive enough
This answer did not yield me two marks in my half yearlies as a word of advise. Reducing activation energy would have.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
This answer did not yield me two marks in my half yearlies as a word of advise. Reducing activation energy would have.
Just a note; lowering the activation energy within molecules is the definition of a catalyst in the HSC course, or at least the types of catalysts used in the HSC are for this. Some other specific catalysts do other things, but you need not know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)