Syllabus Learn to points (1 Viewer)

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Hi everyone , ive been doing some summaries using the IPT syllabus
Im currently summarising Chapter 2 Information systems and databases
Im summarizing points from Students LEARN ABOUT and Learn To:

But im having some trouble with the learn to section.. some of the points are very vague for me to summarize...

e.g
Use software that links data such as :
Html editors
web page creation software a hypertext package

now for this i could copy and paste a picture of some Links i did in Frontpage , but do they really ask you a question like that in the exam???
Also ive noticed some of the points double up in various sections
Students Learn :
Create a simple relational database from a schematic diagram and data dicitonary

and then ti goes
Create a data dictionary from a set of given data

Its kinda hard for me to explain.. but it causes me to have trouble Summarizing

juggernaut

HSC
these sometimes are more about just having the knowledge then actually writing a summary.. kinda like the 'construct using a model kit' points in the chem syllabus

for 'Use software that links data such as', id just write something like:
its possible to link data such as images or text by using software such as frontpage or dreamweaver that utilises html code. Then maybe write a brief description of how you did it..

Students Learn :
Create a simple relational database from a schematic diagram and data dicitonary

and then ti goes
these are different..
the 2nd one is asking to view just raw data, say names of people and there ages, and process it accordingly to create a data dictionary

the 1st is asking to create that specific database by extracting information from a already constructed data dictionary and diagram

again, these are more 'pracs' for you to do in order to aquire 1st hand knowledge and EXPERIENCE to back up other stuff uve learnt/studied

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
hmmm for ipt i didn't exactly follow the syllabus
you don't really have to

what i recomend you do is following the heinmen textbook

summerise the textbook for all relevant chapters which you are doing and you will be fine

Seraph

HSC
N/A
oh i was doing that , and actually remembering what i was summarizing

but i figured i should try to answer some questions so thats whyi went along with the syllabus

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
if you want to do some questions i would suggest you try some of the past papers!

there are plenty of papers...if you don't have any, get your teacher to give u some! demand it because it's they job, they should also have solutions

plenty of papers HSC, CSSA, independent etc

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Html editors

no.....they could just ask u to indentify some HTML tags....HTML use is mainly in Software Design and Development....as fas as i know.

you would probably be given an assessment on making a database.....you must know how to draw a ''schema'' = Entity Relationship Diagram; using a data dictionary...in an exam they cud give you information about a database and you'd have to make a data dictionary and then make a schema using that info....incase you are asked to make more than one table. But i doubt that they'd ask you to both make a data dict. as well as schema at the same time.

you'd have to make a data dictionary on paper..giving...Field, Data type, field size, description....it will be a good idea that you arange all the fields in an alphabetical order....

Students Learn to means you'd do it practically...n u must know it as it could be tested practically....like when you do ur assessments you'd be going thru the right coulumn of the syllabus...like me...i thought i didnt even did the right column...but after trials i almost ticked off every thing as i did it in my practical assessments.....but make sure you call the advice line befor HSC in case you havent gone thru some in class!

Definitely go thru the syllabus...its like the bible for the HSC....as you go thru the topics...take past HSC papers/trial papers and practice the questions relavent to ur topic, as you'd practice youd be confident that you understand the work....

Last edited:

holl

Originally posted by Seraph

e.g
Html editors

In ipt you have assesments that are on computers so you dont have to write anything about it in exams but is should be part of your assesments or classwork. But in an exam you might be asked a question where you would have to recommend a program that writes hypertext.

kelstar

Remember too, that you can't be asked any Software-specific questions in the HSC exam. So, you won't be asked to show how you do a link in something like Dreamweaver, but you may be asked something like HTML (which is not software-specific).

I highly doubt you'll get even that. Practical skills aren't highly tested in the HSC exam.

You will get things like:
:) Draw an entity diagram for....
:) Convert the following decision tree into a decision table
:) Construct a data flow diagram for...

The students learn to are simply the actions for the student's learn about...so Students learn about...data flow diagrams vs Students learn to....construct a data flow diagram

Seraph

HSC
N/A
bah my ipt class doesnt even stick to the syllabus we jump around

seriously i dont know where we are now !!!!!

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
hmm just try and look at the syllabus before u go to class and concentrate...as sometimes teachers dont go in a specific order and listen carefully in class....you'd know your teacher may be discussing something important!

fatmuscle

HSC
true
best to learn it urself first

then patch up the points you don't really get during class.

well, with IPT anyway.

If you have a dodgy teacher, it's better finding help here. in all honesty, there are a lot of smart ppl on these forums

yc

Just ask your teacher what parts of the syllabus will be taught that lesson, unless you have the worst teacher in the world you'll be told.

And the syllabus is your bible! do not just follow a text book, most certainly not heinmen as it is very vague in some topics and not always 100% correct....like any text book. You need to grab ahold of a jacaranda aswell and follow both, use the jac as primary and the heinmen as secondary.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by yc
follow both, use the jac as primary and the heinmen as secondary.
exactly!!

Originally posted by fatmuscle
it's better finding help here. in all honesty, there are a lot of smart ppl on these forums
:D thanks fatmuscle ....j/k :)

Beaker

Originally posted by redslert
hmmm for ipt i didn't exactly follow the syllabus
you don't really have to

what i recomend you do is following the heinmen textbook

summerise the textbook for all relevant chapters which you are doing and you will be fine
actually if you learn off the sylabus you can't go wrong..

i see your point but its the document that tells you exactely what is in the exam remember

Jait

HSC
N/A
Never ever rely on your text book alone. For example, Heineman does have some weak points and is wrong in a few glaring cases. It certainly does not cover all the Syllabus points.

I highly recommend you take your syllabus to each class and highlight the points that are covered. That way at the end you can remind your teacher of what has been missed.

If you are really dedicated I would suggest you download the online version and at night you can add your own notes under the syllabus points. This would make your study very structured and provide you with a set of study notes at the end of the year. Many of the good study notes on this site use the syllabus as the base.

Technically the HSC exam can test anything in the syllabus but some points are more easily tested than others.

In summary the Syllabus is your bible not the textbook.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)