Syllabus dot point help ~ Michelson-Morley experiment?? (1 Viewer)

loong21

HSC
This is the dot point I am having trouble with..
"Discuss the role of the Michelson-Morley experiment in making determinations about competing theories"
I don't understand what is asking? Can someone enlighten me.. Thankyou!

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
What impact did the MM experiment have on the Aether model and other theories eg. Einsteins theory of relativity.

kevinpro1997

HSC
this syllabus dot point can be broken up into small areas that need to be discussed
1. the implications that it had on the scientific community on the aether model of the transmission of light
2. adaptive theories were made based on the results of the MM experiment because the aether model was very hard to dismiss
3. MM results later favoured Einstein's proposal of special relativity

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
This is the dot point I am having trouble with..
"Discuss the role of the Michelson-Morley experiment in making determinations about competing theories"
I don't understand what is asking? Can someone enlighten me.. Thankyou!
Basically The Michelson-Morley experiment provided experimental proof to support Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity where one of the key postulates of the theory was that the speed of light was the same, regardless of from which inertial frame of reference it is observed in-this is supported by the fact that there was no shift in the interference pattern-showing the velocity of light was the same. This was in contrast to the aether model which was a model COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED BY ANY EXPERIMENTAL PROOF and was a hypothesised medium for light to travel through. Since there was now experimental proof for Einstein's theory compared to no experimental proof supporting aether model, it made many scientist to become inclined to support Einstein's theory of special relativity.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Discuss means you need to have points for and against.

So you need to say that the MM theory hindered the completion of Classical Physics and detection of the aether and thus allowed for Einstein's theory and EM wave theory to compete and overtake the existing theories.

phamtom44

HSC
N/A
-discuss the role of the Michelson-Morley experiments in making determinations about competing theories
From theories come predictions that can be tested. Experiments are performed to test predictions, and from the experimental results, judgements can be made regarding the theory's validity. The MM experiment was performed to test the prediction, based on the aether model, that an aether wind should exist.
MM's failed attempt at demonstrating any existence of the aether wind, casted doubt on the aether's existence but the aether concept was well entrenched. This led scientists to modify the model rather than abandon it.
-The aether drag was such a modification (as the earth moved, it dragged aether along with it, making earth’s velocity zero relative to aether) but it was later found to be incorrect. The rejection of subsequent modifications made it even harder to accept the aether theory.
-MM's experiment made way 20 years later for Einstein's theory of Special relativity in which he explained the importance of their null result and why the aether model was not needed. Although the theory of special relativity produced its own set of predictions, not all of which were testable at that time, as technology has improved, the predictions have been tested and found to be correct.
This led to two choices for scientists as follows. They could either:
1. Continue to follow theory for which no prediction proved true (aether)
2. Follow an alternative theory for which the prediction do prove true (relativity)
and hence the aether theory and any other associated theories were subsequently abolished.
Thus, MM's experiment played a highly significant role in making determinations about competing theories and changing scientific thinking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)