• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sydney Film Festival '08 (1 Viewer)

walrusbear

HSC
the program is out, who's going etc!

at a swift glance i'm thinking choke, funny games, persepolis and the new mike leigh (happy go lucky) will be big ones

there is also 3 reygadas films (you were keen to see them icecream??)
i'll hopefully check out some if not all of those ones

any other good recommendations?

icecreamdisco

HSC
http://www.sydneyfilmfestival.org/

i've heard mixed things about reygadas, but most folks seem to love silent light, so i'll check that one out first and will catch the other two if i like it enough.

can't make persepolis; wtf's with it having only one date?

might see choke but i didn't like the book (or any palahniuk, really), though sam rockwell and kelly macdonald are pluses. similarly i'm not a fan of the original funny games, so a shot-for-shot remake isn't tempting, despite watts and roth.

happy-go-lucky, yes plz. mike leigh is my hero.

tropa de elita (aka the new city of god) looks like a hot ticket, if nothing else it'll at least be flashy and kick me out of my festival stupor.

heard great things about somer's town (shane meadows' this is england follow-up), ballast, import/export, in the city of sylvia & fears(s) of the dark, so i'll catch those too.

and the new films by herzog, chabrol, maddin, miike, james benning, hong sang-soo, kiyoshi kurosawa are all on my radar.

i'll be seeing 25 films for $175 with the flexidiscovery pass, just like last year. yay!

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
sounds like a good time, anyone wanna recommend a decent reviewer?
i'll be seeing 25 films for $175 with the flexidiscovery pass, just like last year. yay!
bit extreme :/

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
i'd go see some of the docos or the lolart films from a quick glance, will probably go see none.... where is the 'state theatre' :eek:

icecreamdisco

HSC
Enteebee said:
sounds like a good time, anyone wanna recommend a decent reviewer?

bit extreme :/
nah, i made it through last year's fest alive after 23 films... i can hack it. i live for this shit.

anyway, for peeps who don't like the usual arty festival stuff, these seem like good bets for an enjoyable time (some i've already mentioned):

happy-go-lucky
tropa de elita (for city of god fans)
choke (for fight club fans)
in bruges (brit crime comedy w/ colin farrell)
persepolis (academy award nominee for best animated film)
somer's town (shane meadows' follow-up to this is england, w/ the same kid)
sukiyaki django western (takashi miike, w/ quentin tarantino)
the wackness (supposed to be like donnie darko)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
somer's town (shane meadows' this is england follow-up)
hopefully will include more 20 year old girl on 12 year old boy action.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
i didn't notice sukiyaki western django
will be fun i'm sure
encounters at end of world too (maybe less so)

lolz donkeypunch

icecreamdisco

HSC
encounters is supposed to be really good; i liked the white diamond and grizzly man well enough.

is it... about donkey punches?
apparently not... still a good name for a movie, no matter what it's about.

mollycoddle

HSC
I wish I could go! The program looks great.
I would like to see the new "Funny Games". Just because I love Haneke. I don't understand his reasoning for the shot-by-shot remake though..

spiny norman

HSC
The retrospection on Deborah Kerr of all people is a bit of a disappointment. I like her well enough, but after doing Huston and Melville the previous couple of years, it's a bit of a letdown. Sure, she just died and all, but still they couldn't have done Bergman or Antonioni or something? Still, I'll probably want to catch The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, which I've never seen, and enjoy the Powell/Pressberger films.

I don't know what else I'll see, I'll have to really look at it. Is Persepolis only on the one night because it's the Closing Night feature?

icecreamdisco

HSC
i dunno, bergman is well covered on dvd. i think they should just unearth a filmmaker whose work has been largely unseen in australia. a chabrol or fassbinder retro would be nice; kinda embarrassing that both only have 1 of their titles available on R4 dvd, and in both cases it's not one of their essentials.

spiny norman

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
i dunno, bergman is well covered on dvd. i think they should just unearth a filmmaker whose work has been largely unseen in australia. a chabrol or fassbinder retro would be nice; kinda embarrassing that both only have 1 of their titles available on R4 dvd, and in both cases it's not one of their essentials.
Good call on Chabrol. Fassbinder, too, though be glad to hear Fear Eats the Soul is being released on DVD here. I dunno if I'd call Bergman well covered - perhaps compared to others, but when you consider his body of work, it's a pretty sparse collection (especially in comparison to Godard or Kurosawa, who I feel is missing a few essentials too). Things are definitely improving in that respect anyway, at least. Woody Allen, too, has a woeful collection, given his popularity.

walrusbear

HSC
do you peeps bother with 'umbrella entertainment' dvds?
they bring out stuff i'm happy to have access too but the covers are invariably hideous and transfers often the same
i still rue the day in late high school when i forked out 100 bucks for shitty copies of la dolce vita, m and manhattan
dang

icecreamdisco

HSC
umbrella is awful, yeah. i still rent them, but have gone off buying them... the last i bought was two-lane blacktop - the footage of the film from the making-of has better picture quality than the actual film, ffs.

madman are much better with transfers and special features... but then there's their pathological urge to release every film as part of their 'director's suite' series, and those embarrassing funfacts on the back of their jackets (MICHAEL HANEKE ONCE SAW AN ALFRED HITCHCOCK FILM AND SAID IT WAS "OK", etc).

criterions seem less expensive by the day.

walrusbear

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
embarrassing funfacts on the back of their jackets (MICHAEL HANEKE ONCE SAW AN ALFRED HITCHCOCK FILM AND SAID IT WAS "OK", etc).
lolz
sadly true
i think some jim jarmusch movies i have say JARMUSCH COUNTS FRITZ LANG AS ONE OF HIS INFLUENCES

and tokyo story is JIM JARMUSCH COUNTS TOKYO STORY AS HIS FAVOURITE FILM
gawd

you gotta show me whereto cheap criterion
places around here are mighty steep in price

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)