• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

SUV's and the burbs (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Anti-Mathmite said:
I love 4wds that you can tell have never been off road for a day in its life. No scratches, no mud: POSE WAGON!
Most SUV's of today wouldn't get up the first hill you meet when four wheel driving.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I have no real issue with people that drive 4wd's around... I mean they do kinda often piss me off, perhaps more-so than other road users (other than cyclists who choose to ride in the middle of the road).

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
withoutaface said:
It's got to do with their centre of gravity being higher above the ground.
Yep. However the sooper good new luxo barges have stability control.

A BMW x5 would handle better than your average 1995 commodore.

People love them. Look how well the Ford territory has sold. It's not even a 4WD.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The territory is availble in RWD and 4WD.

The greatest stability control in the world can not make up for a high centre of gravity. The stability control will effectively reduce maximum cornering speed by applying the brakes if you go to fast.

Oh and a new X5 does not handle as well as a 1995 commodore, have you driven one? I have.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
addymac said:
The territory is availble in RWD and 4WD.
Indeedy. So essentially its a raised Falcon wagon with an extra 300 or so kg of steel in it. You sit higher than a normal falcon and behind 300kg more steel. Ford then charge an extra few thousand for the privilage.

Oh and a new X5 does not handle as well as a 1995 commodore, have you driven one? I have.
I assumed. Or maybe I'm a victim of the BMW PR machine. That anything with a propeller badge handles well. I would suggest due to the chassis being based on the BMW 5 series (perhaps one of the best handling cars in history) that it handles better than your average landcruiser.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
A BMW X5 handles better than the average 4WD but it can't handle nearly as good as a regular car.

High centre of gravity plus long travel suspension mean major bodyroll in corners. Also 4WDs have much longer braking distances than the average car due to excessive weight and compromise street/dirt tyres.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
New ML350! 3.5L of engine and 7G-TRONIC transmission for the best price around (like around $75-80K i think).

supercharged

HSC
N/A
If you have the money the E350 has the same mechanicals in a much better car

gerhard

HSC
The funny thing is that 4wd drivers are more likely to be in an accident than normal drivers.

The question becomes..

Is this because 4WD are harder to drive, or are actually less safe due to having a higher centre of gravity etc.

or

Do shit drivers automatically gravitate towards 4WDs because they have a perception that they are safer

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
I love 4wds that you can tell have never been off road for a day in its life. No scratches, no mud: POSE WAGON!
i agree... i think there are other cars that people can have in the city that will carry a large number of people whilst being safer on the road...

on a similar note - they are trying to ban bullbars in nsw (already started doing it in wa) - thats absolute crap for people in the country - bullbars save a hell of a lot of repair $$ (as well as lives) and they are trying to get rid of them... as far as i'm concerned "ban stupid pedestrians, not bullbars"... i mean i'm not saying that bullbars aren't dangerous in the city if u happen to hit someone, but they save lives in the country - definately shouldn't be outlawed

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Your attitude smacks of "a life in the country is worth ten in the city - so suck my bullbar" attitude. If a car is driven in an area where bull bars are a neccessity then by all means use one, however I would think it reasonable that dangerous bullbars be prohibited in urban and sub-urban australia. 'Country-folk' are welcome to remove their bullbar on entry (and no its really no hastle to do so - only need a spanner). Oh and Bullbars are already restricted in NSW.

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
I have agree that 4wheel drives belong in the country where they can be used, because there are people like my aunty in her land rover who think they own the road and the closest its come to off road is driving in roadworks on the M3! Where as in the country people need to them and aren't just using them for the fact that they are higher!

Kafka

HSC
N/A
Shiny fourbies in the city that never go off road should be banned.

Same with bullbars in the city. If you go off road it is ok and understandable. If you use it as an Urban Assault Vehicle to take your spoilt brats to the poxy overpriced private school then you should hang your head in shame.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
why do people feel the need for suvs and all that in the city/urban areas? there's no point having a range rover if you're not going to rove the ranges in it! they're ugly, bad for the environment, unsafe and make you look like a complete moron if you drive it around town. and they're meant to get all muddy and dirty and stuff, not look like its just come out of the showroom, that pisses me off about city people who buy them and then never let them get dirty. why the hell not, they're MADE for it.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Probably because they like apeing Americans......Look at me! I'm driving a 5 tonne military style Humvee! Baghdad errr (shopping mall) here I come!

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Aside from which the soft suspension (comfort reasons) combine with high centre of gravity = sideways interia high up the vehicle when cornering. Suspension provides little resistance so in normal driving you get alot of 'body-roll' and 'wallowing', not too far from normal driving you get alot of rolling.....

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
wikiwiki said:
4WD's are more dangerous for the drivers: the increased rigidity of the body may mean that the car doesn't get damaged but the people inside it sure as hell do.

Normal cars are designed to crumple. This absorbs the energy of the impact. No such thing in most of these 4WD's - you feel the full force inside them.

You won't be able to brag about how safe your 4WD is because it can't get damaged - the emergency officers will be too busy scraping what remains of your body off the window.
Some modern non ladder frame (ie cars with higher suspension) 4WD's do have cumple zones and are as safe as cars since they are based on previous car designs. For example the BMW x5, Volvo xc90 and the Territory.

however more older style 4WD's do have an issue of not having very good crumple zones. But that applies to most older cars anyways/.

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
drove a Lexus Rx 330 last week, its pretty safe imo, when you put on reverse, the side mirrors automatically tilt down and the screen changes to the back camera surveillance .very stable and the break are extra sensitive!! i would by 1, even if i only drive around the suburbs :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)