Sutton/Boveri (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
My textbooks are conflicting on Sutton and Boveri :

Im lead to believe that

- Boveri suggested that each chromosome carries hereditary factors, that chromosomes were transferred from one generation to the next in cell division and suggested that chromosomes swap information during gamete formation and also suggested that chromosomes carry Mendel's factors, since there are more heridatary factors than chromosomes.

- Sutton put Mendel's and Boveri's work into a meaningful pattern and recgonisd that chromosomes provided the mechanism for Mendel's laws of indipendant assortment and random segregation and concluded that factors, genes were located on chromsomes.

But the other book (excel) swapped some of this around, can someone tell me whats really going on? Thanks!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
CSSA trial said Boveri was first, so that's the one I'd go with...

Narelle

HSC
hope this helps

Think of it as a story of "How did scientists ever get to find out that inheritance is due to the specific genes on each chromosome?"

Firstly Mendel said inheritance was caused by two factors inside each cell.
THEN Boveri said "Where is this found in the cell? He discovered it was in the nucleus NOT the cytoplasm THEN
Sutton said "What is in the nucleus that causes the inheritance? and he
found by second-hand researching that it was the chromsomoes THEN
Morgan discovered that there was a link between red eyes and white eyes with being a male or a female SO he concluded that because mostly only the males had white eyes then the inheritance for recessive white eye colour must be specifically found on the sex chromosome. This then led to his conclusion that each gene can be found on one specific chromosome.

See if you try to think of the big picture about how scientists could build
up this scientific understanding by each small discovery leading into the
next small discovery.

You only need to identify and describe the role of sutton and boveri but you must describe the experiment of morgan

ALL CREDIT GOES TO MY COOL BIO TEACHER... I LOVE U PEGGY

NeRdY

HSC
These people i have never really understood but my teacher has always said to specify what each person worked on!

Sutton observed changes in grasshoppers during meiosis. he did not carry out a distinct experiment himself but synthesised the work of other scientists. he suggested chromosomes behaved in a way that accounted for the behaviour of mendel's factors

his data showed:
*chromosomes were carriers of heredity units
*chromosomes occur as homologous pairs
*from meiosis, each gamete receives only one chromosome of each pair

Boveri demonstrated a connection between chromsomes and heredity. he used 2 different species of sea urchins to show a complete set of chromosomes is necessery for normal development of an organism. he concluded the nucleus of a cell was concerned with inheritance, NOT cytoplasm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)