Sustainability @ MQ (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sustainability@MQ is launching an awareness and education campaign in an effort to reduce our energy consumption. Energy usage at Macquarie is quite high and attributable mainly to activities taking place in our buildings. While technological improvements can increase energy efficiency, it takes individuals to make a real difference. We are asking staff and students to be sure that they turn off lights and non-essential equipment (including PC's, printers and photocopiers) before leaving for the day or if out of office for an extended period of time. And to ensure you don't forget the message, we are placing stickers and posters in buildings and offices across the campus.
I died a little inside, lets save energy by wasting more crap on paper and ink that no one reads/cares about!

X

xeuyrawp

U@MQ: Hiring morons, so you don't have to. That's our promise to you. :)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Look, this might be a little extreme, a little left-field, but hear me out:

Maybe buildings and grounds staff, and academic staff, should remember to do it themselves? They should refer to that little piece of paper on the front door of every classroom, and to be sure to turn off all electrical items if they're the last ones listed.

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thats crazy talk! It'll get you fired, or worse still, the victim of a blog by Schwartz himself!

HSC
This all seems a bit petty - I mean I don't hear anyone complaining about the use of CDs and marketing material used to promote Al Gore's flick. The Uni is trying to raise awareness and get people to care about these issues, for which promotional material is of course necessary. A means to an end, which they are hoping will ultimately result in greater conservation of resources and sustainability practices. So I'm not about to bitch about use of a couple of sheets of paper to promote it (especially considering I just printed a 50 page article :)

HSC
And MJ I do agree with you - sustainability should start with getting the staff to set an example

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
scarecrow_of_oz said:
This all seems a bit petty - I mean I don't hear anyone complaining about the use of CDs and marketing material used to promote Al Gore's flick. The Uni is trying to raise awareness and get people to care about these issues, for which promotional material is of course necessary. A means to an end, which they are hoping will ultimately result in greater conservation of resources and sustainability practices. So I'm not about to bitch about use of a couple of sheets of paper to promote it (especially considering I just printed a 50 page article :)
The problem is it's targeting the wrong people, namely students. The people who have the ability to turn stuff off are staff and security. As MJ stated, the staff should see they are the last ones in the room and turn the stuff off. This can be achieved through one of his many presentations, his emails/announcements or other methods which don't require the printing off of materials. You raised Gore's film and while I agree if its a good enough issue, the means should justify the ends, but heck how many students are going to care when it doesn't directly influence them in the slightest?

I would like them to just sit down and think some of this stuff through rather than push it out there to look good, and call my cynical but the whole thing reeks of PR rather than actually wanting to contribute to the sustainability of the place.

(Things like the Sustainability@MQ week was more in line with what I would consider 'targetting' students btw. )

HSC
I'd agree that PR is probably a factor in the University's creation of this department, but I've met a number of people who work there and they are honestly genuinely passionate about generating awareness and action - both amongst the student body and staff at Macquarie.

Promoting sustainability to students may not make a massive impact in the short-term - but students are the future employees, managers and families that need to be behind this issue. I agree 100% with promoting student awareness, since in the long-run as a collective they are the ones most likely to make a difference.

As an aside, I raised your point to my friend who works for the Sustainability department - she tells me they put up 10 posters, all of which were recycled after the event.

I think cynicism is often healthy, and it's great to see people questioning and talking about these things. So I'm not having a go - just wanted to contribute my 2 cents about the issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)