surrealism (1 Viewer)

mittens

HSC
hey! is anyone covering surrealists for their case studies... salvador dali, james gleeson, james sebor, giorgio de chirico, max ernst, marcel duchamp, man ray, joan miro, and whoever else you can think of... i'm so for talking over them, comparing works... etc... what do you think of surrealism? what's your take on interpreting 'the temptation of st anthony' by salvdor dali or 'burning giraffes' ...throw them in there....

piratedebbie

HSC
im not focussing on surrealist artists, i juts like him.... he has a surreal elemnt tho

Jase

HSC
only Dali.. and only as part of the conceptual frame... to compare with the other artists.

piratedebbie

HSC
dali? everyone does dali, i might just b me... i cant talk about him properly lol
wat is it u like about his works?

mittens

HSC
piratedebbie said:
dali? everyone does dali, i might just b me... i cant talk about him properly lol
wat is it u like about his works?
dali's works are easiest to interpret. they all come of dali's paranoia that he sumhow instigated... its confusing but every element in his works come of the visions he saw because he became so paranoid he was going to see them that there they were... crystal clear... it's his method, so i'm starting to think of him in terms of artist's practise... dang!

piratedebbie

HSC
ok that makes a lot more sense, i didnt know the reasons for them...but if they were visions then i guess its clearer
i hadnt bothered to rad or study him becoz im not using him

piratedebbie

HSC
im doing artists over time....
ron mueck- becoz he is very recent i guess, and it helps since i got to see some of his works
janine antoni- my only female artist, its a differet form of art, performance. also she absolutely disgusts me and i find that interesting
brett whiteley- recently read up hugely on him, and really got into his stuff... could talk for pages about him
robert rauschenberg- dont like his works, interesting concepts... saw an interview and thought i could gibber on about him for a bit
edvard munch- he was one of my first favourite artists so this is just a loyalty call
goya- my favourite artist.. i know everything about him so theres no chnace of me having nothing to write and i could adapt him to suit most question types

these r the artists ive studied that i COULD writ about. might not in the test write about them all becoz then i couldnt write in depth

piratedebbie

HSC
lol wat do u want to hear?
hes amazng, um born in this lil cute town fuendetodos in spain, got formal art training yadd a yadda working his way up rank of the art world, eventually tobecome first painter to the king
war with england was happening at the time, and becoz spainw as such an unstabel place, french occupation came in to "protect" spain, but instead england was driven out and the civillians of spain became involved in guerila warfare with the occupying troops. eventually peace regained and goya died after beng exiled to france
how all this affected his works? well he mainly painted and etched about the human condition ... satirical works about society and the classes, called the caprichs. he also did a series on the disasters of war and wen he was really old he did the black paintings which were frescos on the walls of his house he bought "the house of the deaf man" ... these were his personla works, not commissioned. his commissioned ones were usually portraits and the like and were bought and well recieved. his personal works were often banned from ale becoz of their political comment.

mittens

HSC
wow thats soo cool! i heard aboout his black works and was looking at them on the net... im not sure which works would be best to tie in with surrealist artists like dali, gleeson, and kathe kollwitz who talk about war and alex grey who insists on peace, but i'll need to tie him in with those artists, cn you reccomend some of his works... dont limit yourself to only 4 or 5 either... im so curious about this artist.

piratedebbie

HSC
for war ones: "lo mismo", "this is worse", "there is no remedy" "there is no one to help him"
for surreal: "simpletons folly" and"the burial of the sardine" "the collosus"
for satire: " now they sit pretty", "blow", "thou who canst not" "the bewitched"
check those ones out for starters, not sure exactly wat u want. these r none of his prettier commissioned works , so they r pretty ugly - but very cool

piratedebbie

HSC
thats cool, how r u tying him into surrealism tho? he basically depicted wat wa sin front of him- i spose tho, the satirical mighjt be able to be related... look at themm and tell me wat u think hey

piratedebbie

HSC
itd be easier to talk on msn, itd probs help us both wit talking fluently about artists anyway... i wanna hear about ur ideas on surrealism

timrie6

HSC
N/A
gleeson had an exhibition in my friend's gallery
and he has heaps of his paintings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)