Support for context comparison in Letter to Alice and P+P please? (1 Viewer)

Wincannon

HSC
Hey BoS,

Got an english exam on tomorrow on Module A, and I'm studying LTA and P+P... And I'm not much of a fan, lol :p

Anyway, I pretty much understand what we need to do, compare and link the texts by looking at the different contexts, and how this shapes and reshapes the meanings. But I didn't get very far through the texts, and was hoping on some help with some support.

The elements of context I was going to look at are

- Class (super important in Austen's time, less so in Weldon's, more linked to wealth)

- Family (much closer and again more important in Austen's context. In Weldon's context, family is more distant and seperate - globalisation and all that)

- Marriage (central to a woman's life in Austen's context. Doesn't even have to feature in a woman's life in Weldon's context)

- The idea of an "accomplished woman" (Austen's context - excel at painting, or being married, domestic stuff etc. Weldon's context - closer to same as the successful man, good education, job, etc.)

- Gender roles (so fixed in Austen's context. More fluid and flexible in Weldon's context - linked to social expectations of women)

I HIGHLY doubt I'd be able to discuss all of those in the exam, but they are what I've thought of.

Very happy to get your thoughts, suggestions, and hopefully some quotes and support from LTA and P+P! :D

(PS. I hope maybe this helps out someone who's unsure about Module A )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)