Supplementary Texts (1 Viewer)

Etheral

HSC
Hey guys. I was wondering if you guys could help build a list of excellent supplementary texts in which haven't bene used much, but have been done extremely well (be it in class exams, or past HSCers). I know heaps of texts are out there, but I want to find patterns in excellent texts, as restudying my supps, since I'm unahppy with Lord of the Rings trilogy and Passion of the Christ.

Texts like Finding Nemo, Shrek aren't what I'm looking for, instead I want to build on complex texts such as:

The Shawshank Redemption (film 1994). It includes a vista of concepts on journey, such as the unexpected journey (Andrew Dufresne's sentence), arduous nature of the journey (hard prison life), the negative and despondent journey (finishing his sentence), the individual journey (Andrew's lonliness), the common journey (meeting fixer Red)...to name a few.

I'm trying to find texts past HSC members have used and scored them well (band 6 preferably)

List the text you used or advise maybe on using. State any reasons why (concepts, values, techniques, themes are particularly portrayed well or emphasised strongly through the text)

Thanks heaps guys.

loaman

HSC
just looking for an opinion wat do u think Mulan or Cool Runnings? i am not sure and need some opinions comparing them cheers

Dr_Doom

HSC
I'm just using a simple leunig poem. Save the movies for the modules.

DirtyDancer

HSC
A few of my English teachers have said that it would be better not to use films such as 'Finding Nemo' and 'Shrek' because they are, well, kids movies and so markers wont take it as seriously or something. I was actually thinking of using Shrek, but then remembered what my teachers said. Does anyone agree with the teachers' opinion?

Dr_Doom

HSC
Your teacher is right. They are not a good choice. Best to stick to something simple like a Leunig poem. The examiners like nice simple things they can relate to :)

Wilsmore

HSC
Of course the markers will frown upon "Shrek" if their previous paper was "The Shawshank Redemption". However, at the end of the day they are there to mark your text in relation to journeys. In other words, It wont matter what text you use as long as you blow the marker out of the water with a deep and analytical response.

The written texts I'm using are James Clavell's "Shogun", and F.J.Thwaites's "The Dark Abyss". The visual text I'm using is "The Exorcist - The Beginning".

Dimorphic

HSC
Lionheart being my main text, would it be well advised to use Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring (film) and Leunig's cartoon How To Get There? This is for my half yearly.

Wilsmore

HSC
I'm not doing lionheart, i'm doing Skrzynecki's "Immigrant Chronicle"...but i guess you just need to pick texts that have strong connections with the core study and the stimulus booklet. You can use those texts as long as you can relate them strongly to journeys...just know what your talking about

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
Etheral said:
Hey guys. I was wondering if you guys could help build a list of excellent supplementary texts in which haven't bene used much, but have been done extremely well (be it in class exams, or past HSCers). I know heaps of texts are out there, but I want to find patterns in excellent texts, as restudying my supps, since I'm unahppy with Lord of the Rings trilogy and Passion of the Christ.
My main supplementary text was the 2003 film 'The Last Samurai'. Call it complex if you want - though perhaps not in the same vein as Shawshank - but it's a very good example of the concepts explored within the pathetic Physical Journey module. Cruise's character journeys through physical areas (from USA to Japan), but more importantly, journeys through his own heart and mind. What was once a tortured Civil War veteran is now a man at peace with himelf, finding redemption through the philosophies of the samurai. I'll try and find some practice essays featuring my analysis for you.

Another good text to use would be 'Road To Perdition'. Similar concept.

gyped

HSC
I dont know if anyone has tried this or not but theres a movie called "The count of Monte Christo" It might b a bit late now but if u have time check it out

Tc and God bless
:rofl:

Dr_Doom

HSC
AH YEAH! LOL bit late! Plus it's good not to do movies with AOS because you have enough texts as it is. Poems are better :)

SituationNoir

HSC
I've been looking for ORTs and I finally decided for my first one, on 'How I live Now'. A novel by Meg Rosoff. There's more than one example of journeys in the book. I'm doing Physical so, I've found it has alot to offer.

That and the fact that it's a really good book. I find it hard to put a heap of work into texts that don't interest me, unfortunately. It's good to have a choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)