Supplementary Material: Revenge Tragedy (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swandive

HSC
whiterabbit said:
I watched Irreversible yesterday.

I thought about it just then and it's modern Jacobean. And the theme of fate being pre-destined is really strong. I'd recommend it.

But I think i should warn you of a (sexually) graphic scene which might scar you for life.
I'm using it too
It's a very very disturbing film, but a great text

swandive

HSC
roseangel said:
For something a little different, try Rigoletto- it's an opera and it's in Italian. But there is a translation somewhere on the net and there are some really good revenge tragedy-ish quotes in some of those songs. Plus, being an opera it's all about passion and opulence, which are fiarly significant parts of the genre. Plus, because none of the markers will have seen it (or at least know the translation) you can BS on quite a bit. Give the songs whatever meaning you like.

Also, The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith is alright. It's an Australian film, so all the context stuff is pretty easy to find. Indigenous rights and that kind of thing are pretty big topical issues.
I'm having trouble finding a translation of Rigoletto , you don't have a link do you?

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I used the book version of The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith and my teacher's loved it. It made one of them cry (At first I thought it was because it was soo bad but I was relieved to find it wasn't :p )

HSC
swandive said:
I'm using it too
It's a very very disturbing film, but a great text
Indeed. It's got everything you'd want, including subversion.

But as another note of warning. DON'T WATCH IT IF YOU'RE NOT OVER 18.
It's a seriously stomach-turning movie which will leave you horrified for at least 24 hours.
When first released, people literally walked out of the cinemas with disgust.

I couldn't get to sleep last night thinking about it. I remembered that I recommended it, but I couldn't let my conscience sit there and let more poor unsuspecting souls watch something so heavy on the heart without a decent warning.

Lilith

HSC
These are not the greatest of texts, though they are good for genre:

The Crow (the original, starring Brandon Lee)
Romeo Must Die (Jet Lee, Aaliyah etc)

roseangel

Take the Money and Run
HSC
swandive said:
I'm having trouble finding a translation of Rigoletto , you don't have a link do you?
http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Rigoletto_(opera) - This is the general synopsis of each Act. There are lots of these on the net, if you want to look for them
http://opera.prohosting.com/sarir/rigoletto.html - This is also an overview, but with some analysis
http://www.aria-database.com/cgibin/aria-search.pl?opera=Rigoletto&a - This is a list of the arias, and I think they all have translations. Most of them do, at any rate.

I hope that helps.

micky25

HSC
kill bill all the way.... i mean Quentin Tarantino set out to create a revenge tragedy.... and it shows

micky25

HSC
bolst said:
hey i was wondering.............would you say 'man on fire' is revenge tragedy??

yeah i would because our school used that for a listening assessment on RT

HSC
i used the novel "life and loves of a she-devil" by fay weldon for a speech and for the trials and i had quite a lot to talk about.
also alex cox (enlgish) film version of revenger's tragedy starring that guy that plays the new dr who is quite good to tie in with the play of same name. plus its a pretty good movie on its own

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
make sure your related texts are unique!
Markers are people too, and they get bored of reading the same stuff- regardless of how good it is.

Having a unique, maybe post modern text, captures the marker's attention, who then is more likely to give a better mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)