Summer session? (1 Viewer)

duliel

Closet nerd
HSC
I've chosen BABS1201 Molecules, Cells, and Genes. It runs for 8 weeks and is worth 6uoc.
I'm real excited about it, and hope it will also not negatively affect my WAM.
Anyone done this one before?

As for....

leski said:
i heard that we could take summer course from other unis. is that true? do i have to enroll in other uni first, eg, uts?
I think that's just between UNSW and COFA.

Last edited:

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Wow Duliel you edit posts fast! haha I post up on this page, and the next second your post is already different!

Yes as Duliel said, all general educations are run by UNSW. All the Gen Eds can be found on this page:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/vbook2008/brGenEdByFaculty.jsp

Oh...BABS1201 runs in the summer now? Haha wasn't like that when I took it. It's a fairly interesting course, but when I took it, it was controlled under the School of BEES, and that's the worst school in the whole Faculty of Science/Medicine.

Now that its under BABS, it may be better, but the content probably is the same. It's almost a repeat of Year 12 Biology. It's a good course if you haven't taken biology before, and this course typically serves as a pre-requisite to a variety of 2nd year science courses. But in no way is it helpful at all. The only thing that did help me out, was how to use a microscope.

[/End Rant]

I would probably avoid completing BABS1201 course as a summer course, unless if you really need it for your degree/major. It's a WAM killer like BIOS1101.

HSC
can we do online geneds? i failed a course this year, want to cover up 6uoc for gen eds over summer session. i dont live in sydney during summer so i thought it could be an option?

duliel

Closet nerd
HSC
Rekkusu said:
I would probably avoid completing BABS1201 course as a summer course, unless if you really need it for your degree/major. It's a WAM killer like BIOS1101.
NOOOO!!! REALLY?!?! But but... :bomb:

Pace_T

HSC
blindedinchains said:
can we do online geneds? i failed a course this year, want to cover up 6uoc for gen eds over summer session. i dont live in sydney during summer so i thought it could be an option?

yea u can
i enrolled in 2x3uoc geneds online over summer which should be a breeze hopefully, just look them up where it would say when their times are on and it will tell u its based online.

Rekkusu

HSC
Summer semester has now been divided into XA and XB ie 2 teaching sessions, some Gen Eds run for the whole summer, while others like HIV Gen Ed (GENS6003) runs for only 7 weeks. COFA offers many online Gen Eds. You can complete a max of 18 UOC during Summer session, but if you have a good WAM like Credit average or above, you can fill out the forms and do 24 UOC during summer if you're desperate.

Online Gen Eds are definitely an option ;) I think time and location is an extreme disadvantage to UNSW and many unis, I live almost an hour and half away from uni(per trip).

And yes lol *nods* 1201 is a wam killer, the multiple choice exam was totally irrelevant. Are you planning to complete a science major/minor within the school of BABS?

If you've done CHEM first year subjects before, then you'll know that BABS1201 is slightly better than it. I can't give an accurate reply to it though, since they've changed the course this year, and will change it again next year due to 12 weeks.

duliel

Closet nerd
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Online Gen Eds are definitely an option ;) I think time and location is an extreme disadvantage to UNSW and many unis, I live almost an hour and half away from uni(per trip).

And yes lol *nods* 1201 is a wam killer, the multiple choice exam was totally irrelevant. Are you planning to complete a science major/minor within the school of BABS?

If you've done CHEM first year subjects before, then you'll know that BABS1201 is slightly better than it. I can't give an accurate reply to it though, since they've changed the course this year, and will change it again next year due to 12 weeks.
BAH! I think Ill change in 15mins, when myunsw is up and running again :-(
What a disappointment! I was SO looking forward to it! Booooo
I'm doing Bsc Psych Major part-time, I just thought the content of BABS would be interesting. I havent done any Chem or Bio before.

Yeah, I live about 1.5-2hrs away, its sucks balls, especially when Ive just got 2 hrs of uni on one day.

karoooh

HSC
So the Summer Session timetable is the final timetable we get to choose from? :(

Anyway, say I fail a subject. When I repeat said subject, would they still count both UOC to the total UOC I accumulate at the end of my degree, and therefore, because I had to repeat the subject, use up the 6 UOC I had orginally planned for another subject? Or would they disregard the one I failed when counting my total UOC, but still calculate the fail mark and the new mark from repeating the subject, into my GPA/WAM?

Rekkusu

HSC
But duliel, please do not refrain from taking the course from my comment alone :) Perhaps you could check out the Biology, Campbell textbook (See Course Reserves section of library) to sort of get a view of what you'll learn about in 1201.

If you get a chance to talk to 1st year science students (Majoring in something from the School of BABS) from this year, you might get an idea of what to expect. Though generally, I'd have to say almost every first year subject at UNSW is pretty crappy, except for mathematics & statistics.

@Karooh: Yup that's right. Summer Session timetables should have been released from the start of November. When you're stating the "accumulation of UOC" are you referring to the EFTSL of each course?

Or, are you saying...for example: B Sci is a degree with 144 UOC. If you failed 6 UOC, will this be counted towards your B Sci degree of 144 UOC?

The answer to that would be no. Until you pass the course, then it will be counted towards your 144 UOC. You can fail infinitely as many times as you wish, but it won't count towards your 144 UOC. :) And that's the catch.

All failed courses are recorded in your academic transcript at UNSW, same for Failed but discontinued courses. The failed course will also be calculated in your average WAM or GPA. But anyway, when you fail even a single course, your academic status turns to referral I believe and UNSW will contact you and advise you.

Yes, when you repeat the course, this mark will also be recorded in your academic transcript. Same for your failed course. Both will be used in your average WAM. I know some guy who's got a WAM of 39...haha

Generally, when people fail a course, the disadvantage isn't the lowering of your average WAM. But rather, its the fact that you've just added an extra year to your otherwise 3 or 4 year degree, since the course may act as a pre-requisite and hence stop you from enrolling in any 2nd/3rd year courses that are dependent upon this pre-requisite course.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
duliel said:
NOOOO!!! REALLY?!?! But but... :bomb:
BABS1201 is much better than BIOS1101. I think it will be good for you to do it. It's at least not boring :)

duliel

Closet nerd
HSC
Survivor39 said:
BABS1201 is much better than BIOS1101. I think it will be good for you to do it. It's at least not boring :)
Thanks! I think I will continue with it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)