• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Summer School Unit price increase!!!! (1 Viewer)

peter2

Banned
HSC
Hi
Does anyone know why the summer school units have increased so dramatically in price??? I mean last year ECON201 was only $1650 upfront whereas now, the price is $836 per Credit Point which is $3344 (ECON201 is 4cp). This is competely retarded and has made me so angry as I had my sights set in doing ECON201 in summer so I could not a third year finance subject 1st semester 2009. Every other uni has HECS available for summer school!
thanks

maka

HSC
melsc...

If it is the difference between finishing a semester early, I would do a subject or two under FEE Help.

Whilst, it is nearly double the HECS rate, it isnt really that much once the payment is deferred.

Consider the money that you could make in that 6 months that you would still be at uni for.

On the other hand, you could always just have a cruisy semester or two with fewer subjects.

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
They increased it in relation to the hecs prices i think because when i started 1st yr uni in 2007 my first year subjects were ~$900, now the first years who start this year were ~$1.2k, so i'm presuming thats why it increase so much... but much higher than i thought....

X

xeuyrawp

maka said:
On the other hand, you could always just have a cruisy semester or two with fewer subjects.
And get some work at the same time...?

maka

HSC
PwarYuex said:
And get some work at the same time...?
Thats true, but it wouldn't be full time. Either option has its pro's and con's.

Since melsc wants to work as a lawyer, she would need to do College of Laws; so maybe she could finish that a semester earlier.

Its a win-win situation really.

mserica

HSC
its crazy i agree, last year i did business law for $1600 and this year im doing Marketing and Management Law for approx $2400

OUCH is all i can really say!

peter2

Banned
HSC
Yeh. They are bastards and money hungry. Apparantly, 40% of students at Mac are International Students. That must prove something. Full wrecked my plans. This is just unbelievable. Shit uni is all I can say in regards to fees and course structures.

X

xeuyrawp

peter2 said:
Apparantly, 40% of students at Mac are International Students.
30%.
That must prove something.
Must it? What?
Full wrecked my plans.
That's a shame.

Perhaps you shouldn't have relied on doing summer course? Perhaps you should have planned ahead? Perhaps you should have not thought about the price hike (despite fees being widely advertised as increasing)? Perhaps you should have saved more? Etc etc?
This is just unbelievable. Shit uni is all I can say in regards to fees and course structures.
Hahah sore loser it sounds like.

Better luck next life. PS: Unless your profile's lying, lol at a first year trying to screw around with course structure. Most first years accept that third year subjects are for third year. It doesn't side like you've been screwed around at all, to be honest.

Quit whinging, you little girl. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

blerkles

HSC
N/A
peter2 said:
Hi
Every other uni has HECS available for summer school!
thanks
I think CSU only has full fee for summer. Have you looked at doing an equivalent ECO subject through Open Uni's and getting credit for it in your current degree... you can whack it on FEE-HELP and subjects are often only about $800...?

ECO11 Microeconomics 1 (Previously Economic Principles) unisa
ECO12 Macroeconomics 1 unisa
ECO21 Managerial Economics and Strategy swinburne
ECO22 Environmental Economics swinburne
ECO30 Economic Policy in Society swinburne
ECO31 International Economics curtin
ECO32 Economic Development swinburne
LGM260 Transport Economics rmit

peter2

Banned
HSC
Jagermeister. said:
you cant dude. the only payment option is 100% upfront. At $2400, thats 3 HECS subjects for the price of 1. simply not worth it IMO
Exactly. As I stated before. This Uni is money hungry no matter what anyone else says!!! No real reason why they should charg $2600 upfront for a 3cp subject!!!

Jagermeister.

HSC
peter2 said:
Exactly. As I stated before. This Uni is money hungry no matter what anyone else says!!! No real reason why they should charg $2600 upfront for a 3cp subject!!!
Actually, the $2400 fee is justifabile ;). I dont wanna go on some BS lecture but heres one:

summer school is taught by non-macquarie academics. yeah that means the teaching is outsourced .in other words, their "casuals". and its well known casual rates pay far higher rate than P/T and F/T . Because their wage is higher the costs are passed onto the student

(oh yeah, i was wrong before in that you CAN get fee-help, obviously if you are australian citizen. its just the majority of summer school students are international and they pay upfront.)

theres other big reasons but like i said no lectures....:D

BoganBoy

HSC
just handed in my fee help form today. no biggie really its all deferred payments. and i dont think teaching is outsourced at all. last year i did micro and the lecturer was a member of econ department (rebecca reeve).

X

xeuyrawp

peter2 said:
To be honest, if you don't like it, you should transfer.

Monstar

HSC
At the end of the day the Uni is a business so i'm not sure why you are complaining...

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
It's shit, but there's nothing that you can really do about it. They're not going to push them back down to what they were before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)