Status
Not open for further replies.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Re: How sad...she committed suicide yesterday :(

Riet said:
I think I can actually. I'm assuming there was much more too it than the HSC, and I as I said if that's the case then I would be more compassionate. When I say pathetic I'm making a generalised statement, not specifically directed at her, because as you say - I don't know the full story.

I do know however that my mum passed away at the start of 2005 and since then I've had to help my dad significantly at home, take care of my sister and also study for school. Have I contemplated suicide? Of course not. I can't think of any circumstance in which suicide is justified, except one of those save the world hypotheticals maybe.

I'll reitterate that my condolences go out to her friend's and family but I still believe that it's naive to say that I can't pass judgement on her. There is always someone to talk to and from what I can tell she had many friends who would have listened. Many people go through extreme hardships everyday and they don't all commit suicide. If that was the case human's would have never made it to where we are today. There is no way of getting around the fact that to follow through with a selfish act such as this shows weakness of character.
I'm sorry to hear about your mother, that's really horrible. I know you weren't referring to her when you made the pathetic comment, and as I said "Even if someone were to, there would obviously be things going on for them internally to feel bad enough about the HSC to end their life. How dare you call a situation like that "pathetic"." Meaning you should never call someone "pathetic", regardless. Sucide is does not show weakness of character, it shows severe depression.

Graham Trevor

HSC

royaaran said:
Very hard to believe :( such a pretty girl too

It's always the saddest when the pretty ones go. . .

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

dagwoman said:
Sucide is does not show weakness of character, it shows severe depression.
I still disagree with you, but I feel that any continued squabbling will only trivialise the situation further. In closing I'd say that suicide just sucks in general.

Graham Trevor

HSC
Poo Muffin said:
Wow, my condolences to those that knew her and her family. The Board of Studies is responsible for a death.
The Board of Studies is not responsible for a death; LILY is responsible for her own death. There was no undue pressure placed upon her - it was her own choice to continue her schooling and undertake the HSC, and the stress comes with that. It was entirely possibly for her to cease her studies at the end of year 10.

flyingdown

Ave Satanas!
HSC

That's terrible.
Everyone is feeling sorry for her friends and family, but what about her? It takes a lot to end your own life :(

HSC

thats sad :( :( :( and the stuff her friends wrote for her on her myspace as well, i really cant imagine what her family must be going through

for those who have nothing good to say please shut up and stop criticizing the dead, you dont know exactly what her life was like and why she resorted to suicide

does anyone know exactly why she killed herself?

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

Riet said:
I still disagree with you, but I feel that any continued squabbling will only trivialise the situation further. In closing I'd say that suicide just sucks in general.
Agreed. RIP

HSC
RIP
Graham Trevor said:
The Board of Studies is not responsible for a death; LILY is responsible for her own death. There was no undue pressure placed upon her - it was her own choice to continue her schooling and undertake the HSC, and the stress comes with that. It was entirely possibly for her to cease her studies at the end of year 10.
I totally agree with this, and to an extent, TheLogicalOne and Riet too.

The HSC is NOT compulsory. If she had a myspace, that means that she used the internet; therefore making it extremely easy for her to access websites which could have helped her.

Or maybe she did, but she found the wrong kind of help.

We will never know the full story, and even though I feel sorry for her family and friends for losing a loved one... how could they not know she was struggling?!

Last edited:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
chocolate_lover said:
RIP

I totally agree with this, and to an extent, TheLogicalOne and Riet too.

The HSC is NOT compulsory. If she had a myspace, that means that she used the internet; therefore making it extremely easy for her to access websites which could have helped her... I feel sorry for her family and friends for losing a loved one... how could they not know she was struggling?!
Jesus Christ. That's so simplistic and ridiculous. You have no idea what depression means.

Can we just keep this thread for paying our respects instead of making ridiculous assumptions and generlisations?

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Riet youre pretty inspirational [not intending any corniness whatsoever]

id take what you have to say to heart more than what others are saying because of what you did have to go through.

suicide just seems so "why?"

Graham Trevor

HSC
dagwoman said:
Jesus Christ. That's so simplistic and ridiculous. You have no idea what depression means.

Can we just keep this thread for paying our respects instead of making ridiculous assumptions and generlisations?

I think that discussing suicide and looking at its consequences is important and could in fact dissuade another student from walking the same path. What good will it do Lily to share these platitudes across the internet?

taxitonowhere

HSC
Why indeed? Very sad stuff -- even moreso because of the untapped potential there.
I think suicide in general is very frustrating, because the killer and the victim are both in one, and you can see that in this topic people are seeing her as one or the other, or both.

I know personally, I could never do it, because I look forward too much to seeing what tomorrow holds. Regardless, my condolences to the family and friends, and a poetic sentiment from Percy Bysshe Shelley:

Music, when soft voices die,
Vibrates in the memory,
Odours, when sweet violets sicken,
Live within the sense they quicken.

Rose leaves, when the rose is dead,
Are heaped for the beloved's bed;
And so thy thoughts, when thou art gone,
Love itself shall slumber on.

goodrobo

HSC
Pay your respects to a great person that didnt deserve to leave us ilke she did.
The Board of Studies makes me sick making profits off tens of thousands of kid's misery each year. Way over half of each years HSC candidates will be dissapointed with their marks, the system is corrupt and barbaric. I'm not going to go into it and i dont want any moron quoting me.
The board of corruption doesnt do anything effective to help kids out with their angst towards the HSC; honestly who the hell ever read those magazines?
Shame on the board of studies for what they have created - each decade of HSC precedes itself in competitiveness. Why not get assigned to universities like so many countries do around the world?
Im not making any edits and not replying to any quotes im too furious with this whole thing. Look at her! Did she deserve to die? f.uck the board of studies to hell

Graham Trevor

HSC
goodrobo said:
Pay your respects to a great person that didnt deserve to leave us ilke she did.
The Board of Studies makes me sick making profits off tens of thousands of kid's misery each year. Way over half of each years HSC candidates will be dissapointed with their marks, the system is corrupt and barbaric. I'm not going to go into it and i dont want any moron quoting me.
The board of corruption doesnt do anything effective to help kids out with their angst towards the HSC; honestly who the hell ever read those magazines?
Shame on the board of studies for what they have created - each decade of HSC precedes itself in competitiveness. Why not get assigned to universities like so many countries do around the world?
Im not making any edits and not replying to any quotes im too furious with this whole thing. Look at her! Did she deserve to die? f.uck the board of studies to hell
-

In deserted outskirts of sinister reasoning, thou
HSC
hscwillbehell said:
The HSC does not simply encapsulate the difficulties people face .. If it were something external which triggered her to do this, would she be taking the easy way out? Suicide is not an easy way out, it's a means for someone to attain relief, which most often may be deemed selfish .. but you don't know her (and I do think you need to know her);

I've contemplated suicide many a time over the past two years and my desire to follow through has been elevated by the HSC; yet, hindered because as you say, I sincerely do not want to hurt the people I love. Perhaps I may lose this control sometime, but for now, I will "bear the whips and scorns of time", as Hamlet would say.

My condolences to her family and friends, and may she be at peace, wherever she may be.
Yes, she would be taking the easy way out.
We live in Australia. She could have escaped and taken a year of and then do the HSC again in tafe away from what was causing her stress.

Listen, I don't know you and I can't judge you. I know nothing about what you've been through, I don't know why you contemplated suicide and I don't know who you are.

But, again I do know something about you. I know you're brave and courageous, you thought about others, you thought about who it would hurt and didn't go through with it.

Lol, I don't need to be telling you any of this though you know more than I ever will about this (because of your personal experience). I guess she's at peace but I as you do express condolences to her grieving family. :)

In deserted outskirts of sinister reasoning, thou
HSC
Bookie said:
there should be no hsc.

just an iq test. dumb people go where they do, and smart people where they need to. simple and efficient.
QFT MOFO QFT!!
That's called the SAT's in the U.S.GAY.... Either that or make the HSC of stuff which is actually beneficial to learn and a test of what you would need at an undergraduate level of university.

eg;( You wanna go into a science related field in university you do science related courses, you wanna get into a business related field in university you do business courses. etc, etc.)

But, IQ tests or cognitive efficiency tests would own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)