Suggestions for a book (1 Viewer)

Mystry

HSC
Hey, I'm looking for something to read and yeah, need some help. I like books which go indepth with the characters and their relationships with each other, as well as more psychological consideration of their actions and thoughts.

My favourite books include Crime and Punishment and the Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky and The Age of Reason by Satre, so I'm not adverse to translations, but in fact, probably more inclined to them because European settings appeal to me. Basically, plots to do with common people such a poverty and social issues with rich characterisation.

Oh, and I get bored very easily with scenic description, so nothing too heavy on that please. For example, Lord of the Flies, whilst good, bored me a little =/ Thanks.

fuzzy09

HSC
I love the Patricia Cornwell series, first book is Post Mortem i think, its a crime fiction book, the end is twisted.. made me paraniod for at least a week lol

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina simons is set in Russia, it deals with poverty, loss, war and relationships.. though it does focus heavily on the romance side of relationships at times...

and thats my 2 cents :)

lonely-lass

HSC
N/A
Love and relationships - okay I suggest you Danielle Steel books.

Mystry

HSC
I don't mean relationships as in romance and love, I mean it in the purely technical sense of the word where the characters interact with each other and that these interactions are the driving force of the novel.

To be honest, I'd prefer minimal love/romance centred relationships.

Mystry

HSC
Well, I've got the book, but it's a little intimidating to start, because of the size.

suling

HSC
The Farseer Trilogy+ The Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb.

Seriously excellent.

suling

HSC
I bought Salman Rushdie's 'Midnight's Children' but then read an article where he basically said that Lord of the Rings sucks, so now I can't bring myself to read it

mongolian

HSC
if you liked sartre i'm sure you'll like albert camus.
plus 'the outsider' is lovely and short :)
i finished it in about an hour/two hours

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)