• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Suggestion for a Car? (1 Viewer)

sk8ie_boi

peaker
HSC
This is the situation as my mum is thinking to buy me a car for me to drive to the station when going to uni. She said I can have anything between $5,000-$12,000. But I'm not sure what car to get, well, I was thinking a Skyline, but it's turbo and since I'm a P-plate, so no. And I don't wanna take the turbo out, then its pointless. Also, I looked at Subaru Impreza... but yeah, any suggestions? So something that is less fuel consumpion, but still powerful.

At the moment, I'm driving a VT Commodore, but its using too much fuel and so I'm only gonna drive that wen I'm going outz.

gna

HSC
Yeah and turbo won't....

What's your citeria? What are you looking at?

55psi

HSC
If you dont care about space, u could find a cheap mx5. They handle like its on rails and they rev too.
U could get a non-turbo nissan silvia s13. A nice muscle car on gas, etc.
theres plenty of options out there

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
What are the restrictions for you guys? No forced induction or V8s?
The old Porsches are pretty cool. A 944 is in that price bracket - a 2.5L 4 cylinder. If you can find yourself a 944S - its the same engine, but with upgraded interior, DOHC engine, with an output of 142kW. Good fuel consumption.
If you CAN get V8s, get the Porsche 928 - 330bhp. Also in the upper ranges of that price bracket. Lousy fuel consumption, but I believe LPG conversions have been successful.
A 1991-2 BMW 325i would also be in the upper ange of that price bracket. 2.5L 6 cylinder, with 142kW. Very reasonable fuel consumption.

How much power are you looking for? RWD or FWD? Auto or Man? Pre-95 or Post-95? 2door, Hatch, 4 door, Ute, 4WD?

rden

HSC
i picked up a st204 '94 celica as my first car just after the restrictions came in. They are a very sexy car (especially in red), reliable so far and P-plate friendly. If you want a good condition 95 manual expect to pay about 12gs, though i picked up mine with sports exhaust, 17" rims, and lowered susp/new shocks with only 140000kms for $8gs. They came with the 2.2 twin cam 4cyl from the Camry and put out a respectable 100kw, with very healthy mid-range torque.

The manual trans enables quick, snickety gearchanges and although not in the same league as integra vtir's, etc for power, they will easily hold off any n/a lancer/mirage/excel pretenders. It has also kept up with a 3.5 auto magna. I will try and upload some pics a bit later.

Best fuel consumption so far has been about 8.5L/100km compared to a worst of about 11.5L/100km in hard, urban driving. Don't forget Toyota reliability and plentiful engine/transmission parts.

As for insurance, i pay $367 p/a under my dad's name for 3rd party insurance .... with a $1500 excess for those under
25. Hope this info helps.

7th Sign

HSC
DaddyK said:
but automatic and slow.

slow..

yeah right

121kw dickhead

xb would be about 50 kw thats how shit they are

its a v6 you idiot

rden

HSC
these are the best pics I could find, note the supportive bucket seats and driver's side airbag. The car now has no rear spoiler and looks infinitely better.

Last edited:

rden

HSC
7th Sign said:
slow..

yeah right

121kw dickhead

xb would be about 50 kw thats how shit they are

its a v6 you idiot
What does it do 0-100 7thS? Even with the auto, your MX6 would probalbly take my celica in a roll-on. I have always liked small V6's like the Eunos 30X and FTO Mivec mainly for the intoxicating sound.

7th Sign

HSC
rden said:
What does it do 0-100 7thS? Even with the auto, your MX6 would probalbly take my celica in a roll-on. I have always liked small V6's like the Eunos 30X and FTO Mivec mainly for the intoxicating sound.

I know the stockish version of my car can get like 1/4 : 14.2

as for 0-100
Acceleration (0-100 km/h), MT
7.2 seconds

rden

HSC

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Yeh. When did they stop using the 3sge's for the ADM's? the ST185's? And is yours a 5sfe? I never knew which engine they used after the 3sge's. My mates got an st162 (gen 1 3sge) and it fuckin hammers, 100 in second! You can really feel the T-VIS. I've heard also that the ST162's are more powerful than the st184's and 5's by a few kilowatt.

rden

HSC
DaddyK said:
Yeh. When did they stop using the 3sge's for the ADM's? the ST185's? And is yours a 5sfe? I never knew which engine they used after the 3sge's. My mates got an st162 (gen 1 3sge) and it fuckin hammers, 100 in second! You can really feel the T-VIS. I've heard also that the ST162's are more powerful than the st184's and 5's by a few kilowatt.
The ADM st185 uses the same (5sfe) as the ADM st204 which is also the same as the Camry of the same year. I thought that the ADM 162 came with a 3sfe single cam? Maybe your mate has a JDM private import. Apparently the JDM st162 has a 160ps 3sge, making it far more powerful than the 130~ps 5sfe and faster with the lighter bodyshell. I'd also assume that the ADM st162 with 3sfe is slower than the ADM st184/204 with 5sfe.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
HSC
The ST162 (SX) comes with a 3sge, its the top of the line model. The ST162 (ST) comes with a 3sfe. The SX 3sge has 103kw, give or take a kw, but i dont think thats at the wheels. Yeh the 3sfe is poo as.

rden

HSC
ahh, ok. all the diff specs are kind of confusing. I have seen a few st162s converted to a 3sgte and retaining FWD, i'm sure they would be quite a handful - and quite fast. If i had the money i would get a JDM st204 front cut and put the 3sge and JDM suspension and brakes in, then it would be the car it should have been in the first place.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
HSC
Yeh i know, numbers and facts flying every which way. Indeed the torque steer would be quite amusing...and scary. I really want a 162 gt four, there so fuckin sexy. I used to hate the shape but now i love them, and the fact that they could be boosted and AWD gets me excited.

rden

HSC
w3rd. i think the wedgy st162 shape looks far more agressive and masculine than the st184. The light st162 with some decent suspension work/tyres/brakes would make an excellent weekend circuit/touge car while still retaining great fuel economy and practicality. I think toyota got a little caught up in the early 90s soft curve obsession with the 184.. the st204 was a return to form however, especially the pumped rear guards and curvaceous rear.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
HSC
Yeh, alot of people say that the 90's models celica's are hairdresser cars for that reason, they kinda lost there dominant sports car look, much like the mr2. And for the amount of money they are and what you get i'd rather buy an early supra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)