Sugarcane to produce Ethanol (1 Viewer)

ciaobella17

HSC
Hey guys,
I'm struggling a little bit with the research surrounding the 'processes involved in the industrial production of Ethanol from Sugarcane'. I have the basis of a flow chart outline the various steps, but at points I'm not sure whether the information is relevant or what the step in the process involves. So anyone who has completed this dotpoint etc. who wants to give out any help, would be greatly appreciated. Im thinking, currently that the most important steps in the process would be; the extraction of cellulose/sugars--> Hydrolosis of these sugars into glucose (by the way, is this step the 'concentration of juice?')--> filtering-->fermentation of yeast cultures within the sugars in anearobic conditions--> distillation to increase the concentration of ethanol produced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1981Grant

HSC
Hey guys,
I'm struggling a little bit with the research surrounding the 'processes involved in the industrial production of Ethanol from Sugarcane'. I have the basis of a flow chart outline the various steps, but at points I'm not sure whether the information is relevant or what the step in the process involves. So anyone who has completed this dotpoint etc. who wants to give out any help, would be greatly appreciated. Im thinking, currently that the most important steps in the process would be; the extraction of cellulose/sugars--> Hydrolosis of these sugars into glucose (by the way, is this step the 'concentration of juice?')--> filtering-->fermentation of yeast cultures within the sugars in anearobic conditions--> distillation to increase the concentration of ethanol produced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Yeah sure.

Alright, sugar is mainly made up of glucose, Ok?

So the equation is:
C6H12O6(S) -------> 2C2H5OH(l) + 2CO2(g)

This fermentation reaction's conditions are:
-Presence of yeast
-Anoxic environment (No oxygen)
-Approximately 37 degrees celsius

The glucose from the sugar cane is fermented into carbon dioxide and ethanol, shown in the equation. I don't know about any 'juicing process' and have never come across it in notes. Also the ethanol kills the bacteria in yeast so its yield is halted at 15%.

Does this help at all? I will come back and re-edit if it doesn't.

Last edited:

ciaobella17

HSC
Yeah sure.

Alright, sugar is mainly made up of glucose, Ok?

So the equation is:
C6H12O(S) -------> 2C2H5OH(l) + 2CO2

This fermentation reaction's conditions are:
-Presence of yeast
-Anoxic environment (No oxygen)
-Approximately 37 degrees celsius

The glucose from the sugar cane is fermented into carbon dioxide and ethanol, shown in the equation. I don't know about any 'juicing process' and have never come across it in notes. Also the ethanol kills the bacteria in yeast so its yield is halted at 15%.

Does this help at all? I will come back and re-edit if it doesn't.
Absolutely! Thank you very much! I think I was going into a little bit too much detail. Thank you again!

kr73114

HSC
The dotpoint mentions the industrial process so you need a bit more detail:
1) The sugarcane is harvested. It is crushed and grinded to a pulp.
2) Sulfuric acid is added and the pulp is filtered. Higher concentrations of acid are then added, and it is again filtered.
3) Calcium hydroxide is then added to neutralise the acid, a precipitate forms, and this is again filtered.
4) The now, glucose solution is placed in an oxygen free tank, at 37 degrees. Yeast and yeast nutrients (sodium biphosphate) is added.
5) Ethanol and carbon dioxide are produced, catalysed by the yeast.
6) The resulting ethanol is distilled to gain a higher concentration of ethanol.

Bubba Blue

HSC
Please remember Hydration of ethylene as a source of ethanol.... C2H4 + H2O --> C2H5OH.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
To get Ethanol, you can either hydrate Ethylene or use sugar cane:

The sugar cane process is as follows:
1. Sugar cane is mashed and water is added.
2. Yeast and other microbes are used to break down the large polymers such as starch and cellulose to smaller, simpler molecules such as Fructose and Glucose.
3. Fermentation begins with Zymase (yeast) as the microbe required for the process to occur - anaerobic conditions and 37C temperature.
4. Sucrose+Water --> Fructose+Glucose
5. Fructose/Glucose --> 2Ethanol+2Carbon Dioxide
6. Yeast is killed from the excessive amount of Ethanol (15% concentration).
7. Distillation to increase Ethanol concentration (ie make it more pure) - 95% or more.

smilingstoic

HSC
Can sugar destroy a Motor Engine??
No but it will stop the vehicle from working and the fuel tank and lines will need to drained then flushed. This is not HSC examinable. :)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
No but it will stop the vehicle from working and the fuel tank and lines will need to drained then flushed. This is not HSC examinable. :)
The lines will need to replaced and the engine thorougly cleaned.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not sure if totally relevant, but sugar cane juice is delicious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)