• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

sudden increase in Optus ADSL? (1 Viewer)

JoeMK

HSC
i have been with optus adsl for the last 2 years, n my max download speed has always been around 55KB/s
today tho i am reaching a constant speed 230KB/s !!! like 4x as fast...
u think they may have upgraded the adsl... i live in blacktown.. anyone else experienced sumthin similar?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I severely doubt they're gonna magically bump your 512k up to adsl2, esp in the middle of the month...

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
55kb???thats like dial up...... And i assume the reason is behind this is that optus upgraded their network.

Collin

HSC
N/A
z600 said:
55kb???thats like dial up...... And i assume the reason is behind this is that optus upgraded their network.
How is 55KB/sec dialup? You usually get around ~5KB/sec on dialup.

As for the surge in speed, has any of your account holders upgraded their plans with Optus? As for the change in speed now.. that is not unusual. With Optus speed changes, it's usually either anniversary (which could be any day of the month), or the next day (which may change your anniversary date to this new date).

I recently went from 512kbps to 1.5mbps. I chose to make the transition at my next anniversary date (which is the 12th of the month).. but instead, they changed the speed for me the next day whilst retaining my download limit. However they stuffed up there.. I ain't complainin'!

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
thats because they upgraded all of optus previous ADSL1 networks to "DSL direct"..whatever that is. The speed's at ADSL 2+ speed at the very maximum, which explains your sudden speed increase

turtleface

HSC
man australia's speeds suck atm. I've been on 1.5Mbps for a while now, it was godly when switching up from dial up after 6 or so years, but nowadays a max speed of around a max of 180KB/s (more like 150 in reality) is still slow-ish, and most download sites can't even reach my max anyway.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Mmm...I've been on cable for 5 years now, and it's starting to get "slow" (i.e, files are getting larger and larger, so things take longer to download). Still, HTTP downloads from good servers go at 700-1100 KB/s

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Collin said:
How is 55KB/sec dialup? You usually get around ~5KB/sec on dialup.

As for the surge in speed, has any of your account holders upgraded their plans with Optus? As for the change in speed now.. that is not unusual. With Optus speed changes, it's usually either anniversary (which could be any day of the month), or the next day (which may change your anniversary date to this new date).

I recently went from 512kbps to 1.5mbps. I chose to make the transition at my next anniversary date (which is the 12th of the month).. but instead, they changed the speed for me the next day whilst retaining my download limit. However they stuffed up there.. I ain't complainin'!
56k dial-up?

Collin

HSC
N/A
z600 said:
56k dial-up?
How does 56kbps dialup get you a 512kbps-DSL-speed 55KB/sec download? You're horribly confused.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I know Optus is upgrading all their ADSL customers to DSL Direct but I wouldn't think they would do it without telling you. Someone else in your house must be aware of the change.

placebo101

HSC
z600 said:
8 bit in a byte

56kbps > 56/8 = 7 bytes/s max speed

512kbps > 512/8 = 64 bytes/s

they count it in bits to make it seem faster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)