Subversion (1 Viewer)

Pointy Ears

HSC
Ahhh, well, i think u mean, 'how are the conventions of CF subverted'??
And well, u basically explain how each convention is subverted/twisted/altered due to the changing contexts of the audiences in which particular CF texts are written.
So basically, eg, for the concention of the Sleuth, u could say that in the earliest CF texts, eg. Sherlock, detectives were generally males with excessive amounts of analytical ability who used their rationale to solve crimes for the sheer satisfaction. Such a detective at the time was what audiences found to be of interest to them.
However, in a more modern context, say, the Skull Beneath the Skin, the sleuth is the AMATUER , FEMALE detective, Cordelia Gray. The fact that she is female would stem from the fact that society is mire accepting of the equality of men and women, feminist movements etc etc. Also,, the fact that this detective actually fails in what she had initially been hired to prevent, i.e. murder, defies the idea that detectives were invincible. This was done to humanise the protagonist, to enable audiences to relate to the detective and thus, be more engaged in the story etc etc...

Yea, so basically, u could get a question asking whether genre is more interesting when texts conform, or subvert conventions. U need to write about how each of the texts u use both conform AND subvert the conventions of a genre, and how such changes in conventions are a result of the differnt contexts and values of the audiences in whish particular texts were written. The goal of altering the conventions is a resuult of composers wishing to defy the ex[ectations of audiences, and thus, engaging them...

PHEW!
Hope that helped:D
Wow...that got me all fired up to write an essay...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)