Substitutions Candidates for Warne, McGrath and Langer (1 Viewer)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i am very aware of the cliche 'you cannot replace the above players', but the selectors must choose someone to step into their shoes, so who do you guys think will be the suitable candidates?

i'll add my 2cents worth:
mcgrath - clark has been consistent enough that even now we've started to 'expect' him to perform at the level mcgrath does/did, so i think he will be the best substitution for mcgrath in tests. this of course opens up a spot for a pace bowler, and i nominate bracken or johnson, purely because they are left handed and they add variety to the bowling attack.

warne - macgill has not played enough test matches he deserves. i've said it elsewhere and i'll say it again, it is pure bad luck that he played in the same era as warne, in any other era he would have made the side (par richie benaud's). experienced campaigner and well deserving of his chance. dan cullen and cameron white will be next in line i suppose.

langer - tough choice between phil jacques and adam voges, experience vs youth. jacques has been in below-par form lately, so if a side has to be picked now, i'd go for voges. mark cosgrove could be another name to be thrown in there, also a young and potential batsman.

Last edited:

mat2154

HSC
Warne- Perhaps macgill should be given a chance, but he is not a long term option. Maybe dan cullen, theres heaps of good spinners playing but none of them are really performing
Mcgrath- Hopefully they choose Bracken. He really wasn't given a chance, on his last tour with waugh he was forced to bowl 2 metres outside off stump. I think he has genuine class, and a left armer is always useful.
Langer- Rogers or Jacques, Jacques hasn't been performing, but you would have to flip a coin to choose between these 2.

BlackDragon

HSC
In as few words as possible:
Macgill then uh yeah, cullen. Though, he will need to improve.
The Brack Attack is good as well as clark. So those two.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
i will agree.

macgill. and then cullen. (haha. whatever happened to hauritz.. )

braken and clark are the ones i'd choose too...haha.

wow. best bowlers come from NSW? :)

el gwapo

HSC
Mcgrath- Fortunately Stuey Clark has timed his selection run to perfection, but the real test will be when he plays in pitches that don't suit him e.g. West Indies, India, Pakistan. Ben Hilfenhaus is looking like a future contender too and a future CA contract holder.

Warne- Simply irreplaceable.... but we should see a dual spin attack should Cam White improve his leggies hopefully he'll be a useful all-rounder, but short-term we'll see Magilla... maybe Cullen he hasn't had the best seasons and there a couple of young leggies like Cullen Bailey.

Langer- Take your pick: Chris Rogers or Phil Jaques. Mr. Cricket can open too.

ps. an NSW XI of jaques, cowan, katich, clarke, thornely, haddin, macgill, lee, bracken, clark, mcgrath would be a pretty good test team :D

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
damn straight...

why doesnt nsw win that much...

because all the good players get picked for aus? :p

whatever happened to katich.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
No Bracken, No Clarke, No McGrath, No Lee, No Clark :(

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
unfortunate how the best players come around in the same era. lehnman would have still be in the team if it wasn't for clarke and hussey, he's a damn fine batsman, a great player of spin as well. katich would have been in the team as well. but too bad the competition for a spot in the aussie side is so tough.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
well. if gilchrist and haddin weren't so good.

ryan campbell might still be playing for australia

and probably wouldn't have retired.

i liked his shots. :p so unorthodox.

el gwapo

HSC
Yeah.. Katich was peaking around 2003-04 when Steve Waugh was retiring but he didn't have the long period in which to settle in and find his stride he was also in-out in the side; the 05 Ashes didn't help him either he got bamboozled by reverse swing.

Boof is still swinging in the domestic shield, but is currently injured. To be honest the number 6 position has never really been claimed by anyone in recent times ever since Waugh retired. Lehmann had it, then Katich, then Clarke, then Lehmann again, then Watson, then Symonds, Clarke again and now Symo with Marto's retirement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)