Subjects for Year 11 (1 Viewer)

thoughtilostyou

HSC
Hey,
Okay, so my school has a limit of 12 units, 13 if you're lucky, and I'm having some trouble sorting this out.
I want to do;
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Ext. 1 English
3 Unit Maths
This gives me a total of 12, but I also am interested in Modern History, Ancient History, Drama and Photography.

There is no possible way I can do this.
Help?

kyokaku92

HSC
Obviously, for starters think about which subject areas you are confident and know you will enjoy. Because, I assume you are a maths/science person or just doing them for scaling. Enjoyment of the subject goes a long way to doing well in the HSC. Good luck!! :karate:

thoughtilostyou

HSC
Science and History are great passions of mine, and I'd love a career in both (or two careers rather) but I also love English and Maths.. And the sound and lighting design and directing aspects of Drama.

I think with the right teachers I would be capable in any of these.. Hence my dilemma :p

Tofuu

HSC
look at what you like, what is relevant to you're career/what you're studying

and you should always be able to change subjects in the beginning of the year

HSC
omg definintely do modern!!!!! its awesome!! if your going to do a history i suggest modern over ancient def. cause i do both :)

Villa94

HSC
I dont know if you should do 2 Ext subjects, it depends on if you think youre smart enough. Other than that id say to drop one of the 3 Science subjects and choose maybe Ancient History which is my favourite.

mioumiou

HSC
Hey,
Okay, so my school has a limit of 12 units, 13 if you're lucky, and I'm having some trouble sorting this out.
I want to do;
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Ext. 1 English
3 Unit Maths
This gives me a total of 12, but I also am interested in Modern History, Ancient History, Drama and Photography.

Help?
Just do the subject that you enjoy the MOST. Because there is no point of doing these "high scaling" subject if you don't even like them. You're in Year 10 at the moment, so the subject selection will come about somewhere like October. It's good to have an idea of want subjects you wanted to do, but you might find you're strength/ weakness or the subjects you ARE actually interested in as you go along with the current subjects you're going at the moment. Concentrate in your current work but if you have free time, maybe you can borrow some related books to the subjects that you're interested in and to have a feel of what it's like in the future. (but don't study in depth, just borrow them and have a look at the topics that you've might study)

Hope this helps. ;)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Hey,
I want to do;
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Ext. 1 English
3 Unit Maths

Help?
I'm obviously a different person, so don't worry if my advice doesn't suit you, but personally I would drop one science (most likely biology) and pursue your favourite history in it's place (modern or ancient) since you said you enjoy history, you might as well have one history in there.

But no pressure. Remember the decision is ultimately yours, so choose the best for yourself. Good luck either way!

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Hey,
I want to do;
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Ext. 1 English
3 Unit Maths

Help?
If your profile is correct your a '12er, you have plenty of time to decide. I changed what I thought I was going to do like 5 times.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey,
I want to do;
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Ext. 1 English
3 Unit Maths

Help?
Since it's very early in the year, you still have heaps of time to think about it. I think I chose what my subjects around July/August, it was a long time ago and I can't remember! Your interests might change between now and when you pick your subjects, or your teachers might recommend that you don't carry out with extension subjects.
Think about what you want to do when you leave school, and begin to browse through the UAC guide to see any assumed knowledge for the courses that you're interested in doing.
And lastly, look through the syllabus, text books and past exam papers just to have a little insight into what the courses are like.

awaitingtrain

HSC
A modern polymath in the making I see. Think of what you can do out of school and what you can't do out of school. History is a subject which can be studied effectively in free periods and spare time with text books and references (if you are passionate). As opposed to science subjects which need explaining by a teacher more often than not. I found doing three sciences and 3U maths very stretching, so I changed Physics and I can tell you I feel a lot happier and less stressed, so you need to think about that as well.

You CAN'T do everything you want to. That's something you need to realise. Find a combination of your favourite subjects which makes you happy and satisfies your curisoty, other than that I can't help you much. ;)

klaris

HSC
Firstly, it is Febuary, term one, week three.

You will have PLENTY of time to figure out your subjects. I didn't do mine until later November. And I changed my mind a LOT, as well. You should really be asking your teachers/year advisors about this, not us.

That said:

Personally, I would do Bio over Chem. Modern over Ancient. And follow your passions and heart.

DO NOT DO SUBJECTS FOR SCALING.

mioumiou

HSC

You will have PLENTY of time to figure out your subjects. I didn't do mine until later November. And I changed my mind a LOT, as well. You should really be asking your teachers/year advisors about this, not us.

That said:

Personally, I would do Bio over Chem. Modern over Ancient. And follow your passions and heart.

+1 :read:

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
History is a subject which can be studied effectively in free periods and spare time with text books and references (if you are passionate). As opposed to science subjects which need explaining by a teacher more often than not.
So not true. History subjects do need a teacher. But I understand what you mean to say to OP: If you just want to study them as personal interest you can read stuff outside of school material.

That said:

Your advice is excellent. Except perhaps OP should look at the syllabus for both subjects, talk to the teachers who teach current year 11 and 12 classes. Pick the two of those four courses which interest you the most regardless of their names.

look at what you like, what is relevant to you're career/what you're studying

and you should always be able to change subjects in the beginning of the year
True.

Also remember OP that Photography is a school course and can't count towards your ATAR. I'd choose Visual Arts over Photography for this reason.

Do you need to do three sciences? That is a crapload of work. Consider choosing the science which has the coursework you are least interested in and changing it for Art/Drama/History.

Remember to look at the syllabus, course outlines and talk to current students about the course content.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
It's still pretty early in the year, you have TONS of time to decide. I assume most schools do not even start this whole subject selection thing till at least mid-year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)