Subjects- 13 units?? (1 Viewer)

Maddie3

HSC
I'm now doing 13 units in year 11, and i have to decide to drop a subject... its either between maths or biology.... i ended up with a higher maths result (even though im bad at maths) compared to biology which i got a lower result... what do i do??
I realy dont know what i want to do when i got to uni in 2years time...
So i guess im asking - do i drop biology for maths which im not that good at anyway??

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Do you have a higher potential in Biology compared to Maths? If your marks and rankings are significantly different between both subjects, take the subject you're currently doing well at.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Maddie3 said:
I'm now doing 13 units in year 11, and i have to decide to drop a subject... its either between maths or biology.... i ended up with a higher maths result (even though im bad at maths) compared to biology which i got a lower result... what do i do??
I realy dont know what i want to do when i got to uni in 2years time...
So i guess im asking - do i drop biology for maths which im not that good at anyway??
Why have you decided to drop a subject, cause i believe you could handle 13 units. Or is there a specific reason eg taking up Ext English 2 or History or something?

Maddie3

HSC
im currently ranked 4th in biology out of 8 and with maths im ranked 8th out of 24... ive been doing maths for a lot longer than biology and because im not sure of what i want to do in life im sure that i need maths and even my maths teacher saisd realistically that i could drop maths if i didnt need it....

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Maddie3 said:
im currently ranked 4th in biology out of 8 and with maths im ranked 8th out of 24... ive been doing maths for a lot longer than biology and because im not sure of what i want to do in life im sure that i need maths and even my maths teacher saisd realistically that i could drop maths if i didnt need it....
is rankings the only thing thats influencing what you want to drop?

Maddie3

HSC
no, actually im dropping a subject because i have 13 untis and so that means i can get rid of a subject that i dont need, that way i have more time for other subjects... like extension english which i propbaly need to devote some more time to...

Affinity

HSC
just do 13... I did 13 was perfectly fine...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
+1 to the above comment.

13 units is perfectly fine. If you have subjects where you are equally good at, why drop them? Have a go for a term in yr 12 and if you hate it, then drop it.

Wassup?

Banned
HSC
Don't do 13 units, it'll send you crazy.

My advice is always do the bare minimum, that way you've got more time to study for each subject, and it's also motivation to succeed in all of your subjects because you've got no backups.

Also, don't get sucked in by the talk about how it is necessary to have 12/13 units in year 12 just in case you don't do well in a subject, because you're practically setting yourself up for failure if you choose more than 5 subjects.

jessiminica

HSC
Wassup? said:
...My advice is always do the bare minimum...
I really don't think that's a good idea, at least to start with. I think you should defintely keep both bio and maths, at least until the start of '09. Then you can evaluate how you're going, and if you're not coping, make the decision then. However, f you're determined to drop one now, I would suggest biology. Maths is applicable in a wider range of fields, and if you desperately want to do something involving bio at uni, you can take a summer course (which is, I've heard, better than doing it in class).

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
jessiminica said:
I really don't think that's a good idea, at least to start with. I think you should defintely keep both bio and maths, at least until the start of '09. Then you can evaluate how you're going, and if you're not coping, make the decision then.
thats the best advice you could get. Do one term then go from there thats what i have decided to do after reading this.

Last edited:

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
I'd wait at least until the yearly exams. U wouldn't want 2 drop a subject and realised u should've kept it...

Hello.Maddy

Atheist <3
HSC
I don't really have any advice but I just thought I'd tell you my name is also Maddy and I also considered dropping either maths or bio... and I actually got better in maths than in bio too.

Strange.

stephles

HSC
Why drop a subject at all?
as a fellow extension english student myself, i'm dropping a subject but only cause if i dint i will be doing 15 units...
so i'm dropping Primary Industries (which i only chose to do to come to this school in the first place) and i'll still be doing 13 units coz i'll be picking up extension history...
its tempting to drop Earth as well as primaries, but i'm going to stick it through coz i know i'll go bad in at least one subject....
so i'm not going to not let myself have a fall back...

just stick it through with 13 units...
doing extension English obviously means you're smart (OF COURSE LOL) so im sure you can handle the workload...

HSC
theres a pro and con to do the min and 13.

its seriously up to you. if u think doing the min would make u put more effect into all 11 of ur units then go for it.

if ur not confident about any 11 of those units then prob good idea not to drop.

i had 2 majors this yr and if i had kept 13 units then i would not have had the free periods i needed to do my majors in. i would also have had an extra set of assessments to do which quite frankly, for me i would have exploded. but once again, it depends on u as an indiviual ;)

as for which subject, i agree with someone before, see how u go after yearly's then decide. and remember to take into account which one of those subjects u would put the most effort in. :)

good luck

Zippora

HSC
i started off with 13 units at the beginning year 12.. why waste your time.. i dropped maths before the first assessment

belle299

HSC
Drop bio if you look at most prerequistes for uni they ask for Math

bubblesss

HSC
i'd say u drop bio. most unis consider maths as one of the most essential subjects next to eng. so just drop bio. on the otherhand if u can cope with 13 keep em both.

5233andy

HSC
I'd say persevere... it's only for a year or so - you'd probably end up praising yourself for doing so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)