Subjectiveness of Poetry (1 Viewer)

lostcause

HSC
I love Poetry, many do, however, from my english teacher and some English Extension 2 markers, the subjective nature of the marking process has served as a deterrent. Much like art, what is a brilliant masterpiece to one, is a pile of trash to another. Granted, the marking critea and the outcomes are set out and obviously strigently followed, but when push comes to shove, whether the marker understands your concepts through your poetry or not will greatly impact on your final mark. Whether that risk is one i'm willing to take, i'm not too sure. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
your cause for concern is certainly valid. However, this might not be as prevalent as in past HSC years. As has been said in other threads in this forum, more emphasis is placed upon process, forumlation and refinement of a concept. This indicates that if sound development processes are observed then the markers acknowledge and commend it. Sometimes the process of the work, it's relevance to genre etc. might look to take out the inconsistency in marking and subjective nature of the form. It is terribly subjective, though it shouldn't be a deterrant from pursuing the form. Should students undertake a challenging short story, critical response or any other form, there is an element of subjectiveness. There is no medium in which there is a parity in the marking, because the extended composition is an artform in itself. It perhaps is left to whatever medium you would feel comfortable in, or what medium you feel presents the greatest opportunity for you to develop and engage in.

looking at the showcase of each respective year is testament to the subjective nature of the entire marking criteria for ee2

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
I was considering taking the risk of poetry major work, however I didnt have the confidence in myself over Short Story writing that I would do as well. However I believe that If i do change my mind, it'll definately be to poetry.

I suppose it was the subjective nature of poetry, that overthrew my confidence - though personally I think thats what makes poetry so appealing to me in the first place.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Poetry, like all art, will be subjective. There's absolutely no way around it. But at the end of the day, EE2 is all about what you think about your work. And if you honestly think your work is brilliant, then damn the marker who thinks otherwise. Go poetry!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)