Subject selection (1 Viewer)

windows64

HSC
hi everyone, i need to select my subjects next week and i have a vague overview of what i want to do:
  • English Adv
  • 3U math or 4U
  • Chemistry
  • Bio or physics
  • some hsie subjects (maybe SAC)
Basically i feel like thtas a LOT of workload, and all the english teachers are trying to scare us into doing standard and i just wanted to know whether thats a good idea or not
and yeah just everyones thoughts bc i dont wanna be too hard on myself

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
hi everyone, i need to select my subjects next week and i have a vague overview of what i want to do:
  • English Adv
  • 3U math or 4U
  • Chemistry
  • Bio or physics
Basically i feel like thtas a LOT of workload, and all the english teachers are trying to scare us into doing standard and i just wanted to know whether thats a good idea or not
give a go at doing eng adv, if you don’t like it or scoring low marks on it, there’s always an option to drop down to standard. but if u start doing standard, some schools don’t let you move up for adv

band6yesplease

HSC
  • English Adv
  • 3U math or 4U
  • Chemistry
  • Bio or physics
if ur doing all of those sciency subjects definitely do a less content heavy HSIE subject- so NOT Modern cause you'll want to cry

band6yesplease

HSC
so which hsie one should i do
SOR is easy and interesting especially SOR 1 which has hardly any content so you can basically predict the exam, Legal is content heavy but the exam is really easy, my friends to Ancient and they said its hard in terms of the exam but less content than modern.
I would go SOR 1 if it were me

miminaps

HSC
  • English Adv
  • 3U math or 4U
  • Chemistry
  • Bio or physics
just remember SAC has the pip major work which would be a lot of workk imo esp. with your sciences so maybe switch to another hsie subject, unless you feel like you'd like the content

nsw..wollongong

HSC
ooo i reckon sac works pretty well with ur other subjects, i have friends that do all sciences + sac and its one of their more chill subjects (smaller cohort, easy-ish trial bc the syllabus isn't too content content heavy compared to subjects like modern, econ or legal). but yeah SOR is also a good option

windows64

HSC
nonon i dont wanna do all sciences, i just dont know whether i sholud do bio or physics

nsw..wollongong

HSC
standard and advanced scale practically the sm as well, do adv then drop if need be

carrotsss

HSC
Even if u don’t do amazing at English advanced at first don’t drop straight away, I was like really really bad at English last year and through a ton of work I managed to top an assessment this year, enough hard work in English can overcome any level of natural talent

HSC
  • 3U math or 4U
Just a note that you can't do 4u math in year 11. This makes SOR I even more viable for you because you can do 3u maths and sori to get an even number of units in that regard.

• Bio or physics
For sciences, I would say consider what career path you want to take as well (Medicine --> Bio, Engineering --> Physics, etc.)

Regarding SAC: the subject has a major work in Y12, so consider not doing any other subjects with a major work.

HSIE: check the syllabuses for all the HSIEs your interested in and check prelim/hsc papers as well - I felt doing this gave me an idea of what subjects I would (probably) enjoy doing. Also remember all your other units + one HSIE adds up to 12 (change that up if needed)

windows64

HSC
was going to have to do it either way but like eng can be improved so easily w feedback
yeah but apparently the english faculty at our school is kinda ass (except one teacher idk what she teaches tho)

sheppy123

HSC
1. pick english advanced and stick to it. dropping to standard won’t suddenly get you better marks and it’s in no way an easier course

2. only critique is that having two science is pretty risky + SAC is pretty ass ngl. i’d maybe pick two hsie subjects and 1 science if you’re already planning to do 4u math

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)