Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

HSC
hi this is my first post ever. im close to chosing subjects for year 11 and i have some questions.

1. how is the uai calculated, what is that based on?

2. what is ranking and how does that affect anything?

3.what happens if you get a bad ranking?

4. what is a "Pass" in a course such as english+math?

5. what the heck is scaling and

6. why is doing ancient history bad?

i might post other questions coz im kind of clueless... i missed out on the important meetings in school coz of traffic and i dont know anybody who can tell me anything and its the holidays now and i dont get it wen my friends explain it. some of them are kinda clueless too.

im thinking of doing these subjects...

English standard
IPT
legal
mathematics 2unit-----whats the difference between this and general maths?
physics
studies of re 1 u...only becaue my school is making me :mad1:
and ancient history

i love these subjects and might need to change them around a lil bit.

P.S. do you think i can get a uai of at least above 85 with these subjects, and i've decided to do chemistry rather than ancient history because ,well, i've wanted to do both the same much and i've seen the ancient history teacher and i dont understand em.

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
1. http://www.uac.edu.au/mya/admin/uai.html#calc
5. http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=60687
6. Theres nothing wrong with ancient history. Although the scaling isnt that good, it shouldnt really bother you provided you do well in it, just like in any other subject.
2. Ranking is basically what you come after finishing all your internal assessments. It affects everything since coming first is better than coming last obviously.
have a read at this thread to get a better understanding of it
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=6642
3. If you get a bad ranking, then it jeopardises your chance of ever getting a good mark, so if you want to get a decent mark for a subject, then do well in all of your assessments and get a very good rank.

the only difference between maths 2 unit and general maths is just that mathematics is a calculus base course while general is non calculus based course.

HSC
Don't let anyone tell you Ancient History isn't good. If you have an interest in it then go for it! It was my favourite subject in the HSC, & sure it doesn't scale well, but it is still worth doing. :)

marxisming

HSC
heyyy, one question

in terms of scaling, do they scale your marks with other students at school who did the same subject or is it just scaling ur marks with all students in NSW who did the same course?

blahmeh

HSC
in response to marxmising...firstly UAI since it is a rank compared to ALL of the state, when scaling, getting moderated etc theyre all in comparison to the rest of the state to determine your UAI.

Anyway thats my idea on it, it could be wrong. OPEN TO CORRECTION.

Le3sah

HSC
I agree with Magpam. Do something you enjoy or you'll regret it (like me). At the end of last year I made the mistake of choosing Chemistry over Ancient just because it scaled better. To be honest, I'm not really a sciency person..I only chose Chem because I got a good mark for SC (Science). Oh yeah, another thing, DON'T base your decisions on what you get for your SC (my mistake). It's different in year 11.

But yes, that kinda went off the topic ...lol sorry. :confused:

Just do the subject you're more interested in. :) Chances are you'll do WAY better in it than if you choose a high scaling sub you don't like.

:wave: Hope that helps...

shortnspicycuri

HSC
OMG i am so lost abt sub selection...i have 2 choose 3 out of between...chem..bio..legal..eco..mod hist...or va...AND I AM SO LOST! .....everyone says not 2 do va and legal coz its scaled ...help!

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
shortnspicycuri said:
OMG i am so lost abt sub selection...i have 2 choose 3 out of between...chem..bio..legal..eco..mod hist...or va...AND I AM SO LOST! .....everyone says not 2 do va and legal coz its scaled ...help!
who gives a fuck what other people think
just do subjects that you have an interest in and let scaling take care of itself

HSC
I've decided to do these subjects, can you tell me what kind of uai i'm looking at? Im aiming for between 85 and 95. And also do these scale well? i cant tell.

Physics
chemistry
english standard
mathematics 2unit
legal studies
religion 1unit
and Information Process Technology

I chose chemistry over ancient history because firstly the course im aiming to do at uni requires it as a prerequisite and secondly ...i love both these subjects the same and most of my family can help me with chemistry if i need it. In the end the pros of chem overuled the pros of ancient history.

BTW thank you everyone who replied so far good responses they've all helped alot. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, just like WW said, your rankings and the effort that you put are the main things that count!

Your subjects don't just calculate your UAI instantly :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i personally wouldnt worry about anything to do with scaling atm...you havent even started prelim yet, so dont let the stress and pressure get to you.
Phys, chem, maths and religion all scale good, so for scaling to work in your favour, youll have to do relatively good in them.
Stress less and take everyting in its stride.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
just make sure you like the subjects you do. or are good at.

i HATE all my subs :( hence im like failing.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed in our school for not giving out details on the subjects up for offer in Year 11 & 12. We have our selection very soon and I'm not sure if they are valuing the time in which each student needs to evaluate possible choices.

HSC
lol you just started term 3. if youre so worried ask them to hand the booklets with subject descriptions and what not.

HSC
I honestly found that researching each subject myself to be more beneficial than simply using the school provided booklet. You see, each subject generally gets talked up in those booklets, and will only scratch the surface on each subject. You (AussieVesti) obviously seem to be genuinely interested in the subject selection process, so I recommend that you do some research on your own, as it will probably mean that you have a greater understanding of the information being presented to you (when it is presented to you).

In summary, the research you do on your own can sometimes be more beneficial than what is presented by your school.

HSC
Heyy...im having some second thoughts....its just about maths... im currently doing intermediate and most of the 2 unit mathematics is based on advanced course and calculus...i talked to my teacher and she said unless im prepared to work really hard ill struggle...like alot...i really want to do it because all the university courses im interested in require prerequisite mathematics and dont get me wrong i absolutely enjoy learning maths but i dont want to make mysself hate it because im not good at it and might struggle...i know i shouldnt worry too much at the moment but subject selections are in 2 weeks and im dwelling on the maths decision...my teacher said i would breeze through general but i really want to do those specific courses in uni and if i get the uai ill want to be able to get into that course. All my friends are saying its shit and hard and DONT DO IT but i keep thinking of the uni courses and i should be able to do it and why not? PLEASE SET MY MIND STRAIGHT.:confused:

btw. atm im going to do a community college course for high school students on mathematics which i hope will help.

loloutaface

Banned
HSC
N/A
if u choose high scaling subjects lyk 2u maths and any ext, eng adv and any ext, physics, economics or chemistry u r gonna megapwn others if u got good marks.

dun listen 2 ppl saying "imma do society&culture or cafs"...1 kno sum1 who did dat n got uai of 60 omfg dun pick those

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)