Subject selection (1 Viewer)

jenez

HSC
I have chosen all but one of my subjects for next year, and am pretty confident that I have made the right decision. The only subject that is under debate is English, whether I choose Advanced or Standard. I have honestly no idea how the scaling system works, this has made my decision harder. I am aiming for a UAI of 80 -85 (that’s right not in the 90’s, though that would be brilliant. I just don’t want to be disappointed by aiming to high or put too much pressure on myself). Already I have chosen Maths – General( I was going to do Mathematics, but after I did pretty poorly in maths for the School Certificate my teacher suggested (even though I have been doing Advanced maths) I do General. I am also doing Biology, Visual Arts, Drama and Ancient History. I was in the top English class this year but I’m not sure if I should choose Advanced and do average, or choose Standard and do fantastic? Can someone PLEASE explain how the scaling system works? How the BOS works out the marks and UAI? Is it possible for me to get above 80 doing these subjects? Hoping to hear from You.

P

pLuvia

It's harder to a band 5 and almost impossible to get a band 6 in english standard than in english advanced, but the scaling works the same way in either of them.

Do try advanced first as if you choose to do standard english and you are excelling in it you won't be able to move up to advance, where as in advanced you can move down to standard

You can get any uai with any combination of subjects, just try your hardest

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
If you believe you are capable of English Advanced and have performed well in previous year in English, go for it.

At ANY time your marks are much below expectation, drop to English Standard immediately ... Good old English Standard ...

Affinity

HSC
the general rule is do the harder subject, it's better in the long run

jenez

HSC
Why is seemingly impossible to achieve a band 5-6 in Standard?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Affinity said:
the general rule is do the harder subject, it's better in the long run
LottoX said:
It also gives you +respect points.
Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics Extension 1 FTW

jenez said:
Why is seemingly impossible to achieve a band 5-6 in Standard?
You won't find extremely bright students in English Standard, I remember once only 3 people in the whole English Standard cohort got a Band 6 ... It's English Standard, come on.

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
do advanced english, you seem smart enough and you will probably get a much better mark in the long run.
i did general maths, drama and biology like you - i would say, make sure you do your absolute best in all these, because they generally do not scale well, comparatively. i regretted bludging around the whole year in maths when i got 79 for it, and i had to work my butt off in drama just to scrape a band six (damn first ranking, means i didnt get to keep my original assessment mark lol). so yeah. work hard, and you'll do fine.

jenez

HSC
Thank you for your help i REALLY appreciate it. I definitely see were your coming from. I understand I’m going to have to work my butt off next year. I know the subjects I’m choosing next year scale pretty averagely (though I still have no idea how the scaling/ranking works entirely, we weren’t properly informed at school).

How did you go in the HSC yourself?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)