Subject selection (1 Viewer)

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
It's time for subject selection and i have run into abit of brickwall.
Lets say i did 3U (ext1) math for year 11 but if i add up other units i want to do, isnt there a odd unit out? It's compulsory to do 12 units so is there a way to get pass it or do i have to do 13 units? Also, between economics, business studies and legal, which scales better and it's the best to do?

Here are my subject plans for year 11

2U Eng (advanced)
3U Math
2U Physics
2U Legal/BS/Econ
2U chemistry

robo-andie

HSC
you could do extension english, or just pick up another 2 unit subject.

Once you are in yr12, you can drop the extra unit and only focus on 11.
yr 11 required units = 12
yr 12 required units = 10*

*For a UAI, the minimum 10 units cannot comprise of more than one category B subject.

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Not really sure what you are asking about with the units, I have you have confused yourself. But yes compulsory 12 units in preliminary and yes you can have more then 12 units if you wish, in the HSC best 10 units with compulsory best 2 units of English counting towards your UAI.

From the subjects above you will only have 11 units so you either pickup another 2 unit course or 1 unit course (yes there are 1 unit courses). Also you could do a tafe course which counts towards your units but not your UAI.

Scaling and weighting is always a touchy subject and everyone has there views on it the best thing for you right not is not to worry pick the subjects that you will like and enjoy, which should help to work in your favour and increase your chances of getting your desired mark.

Good luck with subject selection hope I was some help!

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Kid.@dmin said:
Not really sure what you are asking about with the units, I have you have confused yourself. But yes compulsory 12 units in preliminary and yes you can have more then 12 units if you wish, in the HSC best 10 units with compulsory best 2 units of English counting towards your UAI.

From the subjects above you will only have 11 units so you either pickup another 2 unit course or 1 unit course (yes there are 1 unit courses). Also you could do a tafe course which counts towards your units but not your UAI.

Scaling and weighting is always a touchy subject and everyone has there views on it the best thing for you right not is not to worry pick the subjects that you will like and enjoy, which should help to work in your favour and increase your chances of getting your desired mark.

Good luck with subject selection hope I was some help!
thanks, 1U subjects are??
Econ/BS/Legal i am fine doing any of the three, so i am jsut wondering which is better to do.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
z600 said:
thanks, 1U subjects are??
Well that would depends depend on your school and the subjects offered but best to look through your subject selection package it should tell you. Off the top of my head extension courses ie history extension, english extension is 1 unit pretty sure.

Well I really couldn't tell you as I don't do any of those 3 subjects but that would also depends on your likes\dislikes and you career\uni\tafe path.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
For year 11, unless he has accelerated a subject with an extension course, i.e history, music etc. he can only pick extension english and math, which are 2 year, 1 unit courses.
EDIT: SOR 1 is the other 1 unit subject you can pick up in year 11.

Last edited:

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
at my schoolo you can also do 1 unit of religion which is what i did to go with 3u english. also in terms of business/eco/legal. legal didn't run this year at my school but eco and business did i do economics and i hate it. the subject itself isn't that bad but the way they teach it is really dry but then again i suppose it varies form school to school.
also all the kids who do business and economics say that business is more interesting and fun.
also economics tends to scale the best out of all of them, or so i've heard. which doesnt really matter to me because i'm dropping eco come the end of next term ( yipee!)
so yeah in the end it's up to you. i personally suggest you screw the whole scaling thing and just go with what you're good at and what you like cos that's what you'll end up doing the best in, you also don't really know how a subject will scale because it varies from year to year.

thecan

HSC
hey z600

im currently in the middle of year 11 this year, and was in (nearly) the same situation as you 12 months ago. i couldnt think of any other way to do 13 units, so i currently take:

2U english (adv)
3U maths
2U chemistry
2U physics
2U economics (possible drop for year 12)
2U geography (possible drop for year 12)

i strongly suggest working hard at 13 units for year 11. although many others decided to take up ext eng (or have 6x2U subs) and have 12 units for year 11, leaving me with an entire extra subject alltogether, the majority of them will now be left with 12 units for year 12, where as i can drop down to 11.

dropping to 10 units is only common for those who seem to "struggle" with the workload, and based on ur current subjects, i see thats no issue with you.

work hard with 13 units, its only 3 terms. im nearly finished the 2nd term, and i cant believe how fast its gone already. you will enjoy the extra study/free period that others may not have in year 12, but will still be able to enjoy an extra unit up your sleeve.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
at least you guys are lucky and your school allowed you to do more than 12 units in Prelim. at my school we were allowed to do 12 and ONLY 12 units. So many people were screwed, were unable to do all the subjects they wanted to and in the end in Year 12 had to drop down to 10 because they didnt have any extra units. :(

I did 3u maths and Sor I so that it would come to a nice even total of twelve. The other subjects my school offered for those people with one extension subject was Photography and Sports,Lifestyle and Recreation (which was just like one units worth of PE). It sucked majorly! (I enjoy religion though so it worked out for me thankfully)

Note however that Photography and SLR did not continue into the HSC and you have to drop it because the course no longer runs. Studies of Religion I i think is the only subject that is one unit and DOES continue into your HSC and can go to the calculation of your UAI.

Hope this helps :)

Black Hawker

HSC
I have the same problem with having 13 units. The school I go to (selective) has 4 periods a day over a fortnight and 2 periods off each Wednesday for sport. That adds up to 36 periods, meaning if I do 13 units I have to come to school earlier or stay in the afternoons; since each unit equals 3 periods right? Anyway here's the subjects I'm thinking of taking.

2 Unit English (Advance - I think)
3 Unit Maths
2 Unit Physics
2 Unit Software Development & Design
2 Unit Business Studies/Economics
--------------------------------------------------
2 Unit Engineering - if 13 units are acceptable
OR
An IT course at TAFE on sports day
OR
1 Unit Photography
OR
1 Unit English additional - don't really want to

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
What you will need to consider is whether or not you want that subject to count in the end in the calculation of your UAI. Something like Photography or the IT Tafe course you will ultimately drop leaving you with only 11 units in Year 12. If you're ok with that then perhaps thats the option you should take... OR in the end will have to take if they don't allow you to take up 13 units.

However, considering that your timetable is structured in that way, before and after school classes will have to be the result of taking 13 units and it then is up to the school to organise something for you. Most probably the Extension 1 Maths class will take those out of school hours classes. It does then also depend upon lines and how the subjects fit into the timetable. The best thing for you to do now is to talk to the principal or teacher in charge of timetabling to see what you can do.

So think about what subjects you want to be doing for Year 12. This should be a good basis for you to make a decision. :) Good Luck.

Black Hawker

HSC
Yeah, if I was only to be able to do 12 units, I would drop IT/Photography in Yr 12 and take up 4 Unit maths, leaving me still with 12 Units for HSC.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)