HSC
heading into year 11 next year and the subject i would like to choose are

maths advanced
Software Design and Development
Chemistry
English standard
PDHPE
Industrial tech (multimedia)

Is it possible to reach 90 atar with these subjects? My aim is a software engineering course.
thanks,

jilly12

HSC
Ah, Thank you very much. I also live in a regional location so would that effect anything?

jilly12

HSC
I also got another question, do school rankings matter much? cause mine is in the 300s 💀

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
I also got another question, do school rankings matter much? cause mine is in the 300s 💀
Yes and no, it just means the students at your school aren’t as smart so you need a higher rank in order to perform well compared to a top ranking school where a low rank would still be good.

You’re not limited to what atar or marks you can get tho, just try to be towards the top of your cohort

dav53521

HSC
It doesn't matter. If you can do well in your hsc then you should be able to get a high atar. I have heard stories about people doing well in pretty average schools so just focus on doing your best.

jilly12

HSC
Ah, okay thanks. I am also having confusion with school assessment marks. Is it possible to explain how they are marked in relation to your school rank or something? Sorry if these questions sound stupid.

dav53521

HSC
Ah, okay thanks. I am also having confusion with school assessment marks. Is it possible to explain how they are marked in relation to your school rank or something? Sorry if these questions sound stupid.
I'm not completely sure but I think that basically if your school marks harder you'll be moderated better and vice verca as your school will give NESA your school's internal marks and NESA will then compare it against your schools final HSC marks (i think). So you'll be moderated up or down depending on if your school did better or worse in the final exam compared to how the school did in the internal exams. But I do think that if you perform well in the internal and final exam then you wouldn't be affected too much by moderation but I'm not completely sure on that one as well.

Although I'm not completely sure if what I said is correct as I wasn't really paying that much attention during the numerous times my school explained the HSC moderation process to us

jilly12

HSC
Thanks lmao, I'm just worried how big of a step up year 11 is compared to year 10

dav53521

HSC
Thanks lmao, I'm just worried how big of a step up year 11 is compared to year 10
My friends and myself did find it a somewhat big step up as you have more homework, more content etc. But in the end year 11 is more of a time to establish foundations for your HSC subjects and prepare you for year 12 so while it can be handy to do well in yr 11 especially for early entry you shouldn't be too freaked out about it as in the end if you didn't do well in year 11 you can look about upon it, recognize mistakes and learn from them so you can improve yourself in year 12. Plus you do have a goal which should help motivate you to do your best.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Just to add a bit more certainty, in year 12, there are two types of marks, the average of which is taken to determine your overall HSC mark for a particular subject (i.e. each marks contributes 50% of your overall HSC mark in a subject). They are the Assessment Mark and the Examination Mark.

Your question is relevant to the Assessment Mark. This mark reflects your internal performance. Internal performance refers to your performance in the assessment tasks/exams that you complete at your school except HSC exams. When you complete a school-based assessment task/exam, your mark will indicate your mark in the subject within your cohort. The higher your marks, the higher your ranks are likely to be.

Essentially, if you want to maximise your Assessment Mark in a subject, your goal will be to try and rank as high as possible, which you can only do if you perform at a sufficiently high standard in your internal assessment tasks/exams.

Your rank is one of two elements, the other one being the Examination Mark, that are used in determining your Assessment Mark. This process is called moderation. An Examination Mark is an HSC exam mark, i.e. the mark you achieve in the HSC exam of a subject. The basic rule is that the student who ranks first in a subject will achieve the highest Assessment Mark, which is determined according to the highest Examination Mark achieved in the student's cohort (and vice-versa in the case of the student ranked last).

For example, student A came first internally in Biology. Another student, Student B, achieved 90 as their HSC exam mark, and that turned out to be the highest HSC exam mark in their cohort. This means that not only will Student B receive this mark as their Examination Mark, but student A will also receive 90 as their Assessment Mark, because they placed first internally.

In the case of other ranks (for instance, fourth), the Assessment Mark will not be adjusted to equal the equivalent Examination Mark, although it will be similar. NESA provides the following example:

1687353808667.png

Notice that the student ranked fourth achieved 59 as their Assessment Mark, although the fourth-highest Examination Mark was 60.

Of course, as dav53521 mentioned, as long as you are doing your best to study/prepare and are performing well, you will be fine.

jilly12

HSC
I feel that my cohort will be very small. As most of the people I believe are wanting to become tradies. So I estimate around half my cohort may drop out at the end of this year and we have approximately 100-150 people.
Will that affect like the rankings and assessment marks and stuff?

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
I feel that my cohort will be very small. As most of the people I believe are wanting to become tradies. So I estimate around half my cohort may drop out at the end of this year and we have approximately 100-150 people.
Will that affect like the rankings and assessment marks and stuff?
My school had like 30 odd people drop out and tbh it’s a good thing marks-wise, those sort of people are usually a distraction and don’t try in school though it is sad for them to not see them again :(

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
My school had like 30 odd people drop out and tbh it’s a good thing marks-wise, those sort of people are usually a distraction and don’t try in school though it is sad for them to not see them again :(
same a looot of kids in my eng class, cafs and sor never show up, the crazy part is that whenever the teacher marks the roll on sentral, its all red and only has like 3-4 green lines 💀

carrotsss

HSC
my parents get extremely annoyed when i'm like 3 mins late i can't imagine just not showing up 💀
one of my friends has realised he can just drive home in the middle of the day without any consequences so whenever he has physics or maths he just leaves at lunch 😭

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
my parents get extremely annoyed when i'm like 3 mins late i can't imagine just not showing up 💀
YEAHH SAME my parents r very strict v school i just dont understand how they can skip classes without having any consequences

jilly12

HSC
went overseas in term 1 and now my attendance is at 60%. It's safe to say I am not gonna be allowed any days off for the next two years

jilly12

HSC
Also, I got another question (sorry for the annoyance), my math teacher is urging me to take maths extension but I honestly do not know how I will go in the subject. Of course, I can drop it but I just wanna know if it's worth it or not. Cause the recent maths test this year I have done fairly well. 57/60 (statistics and probability) also note I was overseas so I had to fo the test a week after everyone else, 34/35 (trig) It had almost no 5.3 questions except the last 2 or 3) and my recent one 61/62 in Algebra where I got all 5.3 questions right except made a silly mistake in 1. However keep in mind that I go to a regional school, so I do not know if the tests here are easier than ones in higher-ranking schools. So any advice on whether I would be alright for maths extension and how can I get through it with relatively good marks in order to get a 90 atar?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)