• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Subject selection help please (1 Viewer)

dogdogdog

HSC
Hi, im new and couldn't think of any stupid username. I'm relatively bright but not brainwave. What subjects should i select for hsc?
Are these good?

Ext English 1 3u
Ext Maths 1 3u
Chemistry 2u
Biology 2u
Business Studies 2u

How much of a workload is this?
Is subject by correspondence (sent packages of work) good if necessary for bussiness?

Thanks

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Those look like really good subjects to me if you really enjoy sciences. I can warn you that those 1u extension subjects have a workload that is greater than half of your average 2u subject or sometimes even more. They're called extension subjects as they are of a higher level and are a bit more challenging.

Correspondence is o.k if you are able to learn independently as well as if you are self-motivated.

Do not worry too much about whether or not you've made the right choices. If you are unsatisfied with your subjects in the first few weeks of year 11, there is the possibility of changing them.

summermagic

HSC
Those are the exact subjects I chose except I'm doing modern history rather than chemistry. I thought perhaps it'd be interesting for you to see someone's viewpoint on your subject:

Ext English 1- I love this subject, personally my favourite. The topics that you do are really interesting (i'd only recommend it to those who actually like english by the way) and you get more freedom to compose and analyse things. It's actually quite a lot of work so you have to be dedicated.

Ext Maths 1- I don't enjoy maths all that much and so I find that there was heaps of stuff to do. Some of the stuff is the same as the 2 unit course but in much more depth.

Chemistry- I don't do this but my friends seem to enjoy it.

Biology- There's many, many concepts to learn here and a lot of memorising to do. I found that many people in my class didn't really understand some of the stuff so it can be a bit difficult if no one's there to explain to you.

Business Studies- I love this subject too. There's HEAPS of work though. Loads of stuff to remember. I think that correspondence for this particular subject would be fine in terms of understanding but be prepared to do LOTS of work.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Ext Maths 1- It's a lot of work, it's more about understanding how things work rather than straight out rote learning.

Chemistry- I did this in year 11, it was hard for me to grasp some of the information because they seemed too abstract to me. It's mainly calculations and analysis. All my other friends enjoy this though, you can do well without a strong Mathematics background as long as you can understand its concepts.

Biology- You can basically rote learn this subject, while it lacks the complex concepts present in Chemistry, it makes up in slabs of text, diagrams and other little concepts that all join up nicely.

Business Studies- The concepts are easy enough to grasp without straining yourself too badly. It's also a lot of information to remember, like any other subject I guess.

meixia

5 cents short of a 97
HSC
This is your third post about your sub selection.

Why don't you go to your advisor at school and ask them. They'll be able to know your strengths and weaknesses more than us.

Ext1 Maths is quite a bit in workload, if you know and like maths, it should be a breeze.

Ext1 English should be a breeze if you like it. The HSC exam looks alright, only 2 hours and two writing pieces to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)