subject selection for year 10 (1 Viewer)

jajabi

HSC
Hi, I'm in year 10 and my subjects are due soon...
I was wondering if I were to do the new IPT syllabus Computer Enterprising, how would I study for it? should I do it at all?

I'm thinking of doing
math ex 1 and advanced
eng adv
physics
IPT (?)
two other subjects that I don't know 😭 Any suggestions? I was thinking of business studies/eco/engineering studies but not sure.

Any help is appreciated

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If you will be completing your HSC in 2025, then you would have to take Enterprise Computing as Information Processes and Technology will be assessed for the last time in 2024. The 2025 HSC cohort will sit the first Enterprise Computing HSC exam. This places you at a disadvantage given the inherent lack of resources that is the result of being part of the first cohort to study the new syllabus. However, you are still able to gain an idea of important concepts and elements that you may wish to focus on by having a look at the Enterprise Computing syllabus. Keep in mind that none of your year 11 results will count towards your HSC results or your ATAR, giving you an opportunity to experience Enterprise Computing at no expense, while having the option of dropping it if you find that it is not for you.

In terms of the two other subjects that you are required to take, you should consider your personal interests (in terms of Stage 6 and beyond the HSC) as well as your performance potential. Consider the following questions:
  • Are you interested in studying any of Business Studies, Economics or Engineering Studies?
  • What are you interested in studying beyond the HSC?
  • Did you take a similar subject in Stage 5 (for example, Commerce) and performed at a high standard? If so, is there a subject(s) that you believe you would be able to perform favourably in?
Business Studies and Economics provide you with knowledge relevant to degrees such as a Bachelor of Business/Commerce, Bachelor of Economics and similar degrees. On the other hand, subjects such as Mathematics Advanced, Mathematics Extension 1, Physics and Engineering Studies provide you with knowledge relevant to degrees such as a Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) and similar degrees.

I hope this helps! :D

HSC
Maths Extension is only one unit in year 11, so how are you planning to balance this out? Some subjects you could consider are Studies Of Religion 1 Unit, SLR 1 Unit, English Extension 1, or Photography Video And Digital Imaging - Have I missed any?

I was thinking of business studies/eco/engineering studies but not sure.
From what I heard, many students taking engo recommend it only if you want to take Engineering in Future Studies.
You might want to look around the forums for other posts.

Regarding Economics and Business, you should weigh the positives and negatives for studying both. They do have some overlap which can help you with both subjects, but this may also make things repetitive, and taking away an opportunity to choose different subjects.

jajabi

HSC
thanks for replying !

I'm still unsure about Enterprise Computing but thanks for the info ill def consider it

For my other two subjects, I do commerce as an elective and I perform well in it. The content is kind of interesting, I think I did an economics-ish unit this term and last year was mainly business studies but I think I enjoyed last year's content more. But everyone says that business studies is content heavy/rote learning so idk if it'll be too much for the workload with my other subjects.

I'm considering tech like data science, cybersecurity, IT something like that for the future or engineering, not sure what field though

I'll mull over it again thanks for your help!!
😭

jajabi

HSC
hii thanks for replying

I did think about how I would balance it out but I may aim to get into ex2 maths to balance it out.
What would happen if I didn't balance my units out? Is it just better to balance it?

I'm not really interested in SOR, ex english, photography or SLR

dav53521

HSC
I'm considering tech like data science, cybersecurity, IT something like that for the future or engineering, not sure what field though
If you're interested in data science, cybersecurity or IT then I would say you should at least give enterprise computing a try as while it is a new subject from the looks of it, it covers the industries you're interested in so it might be worthwhile to give it a try and see if you enjoy and the new syllabus means that it's hopefully up to date.

But don't force yourself into the subject just because it covers the industries you're interested in currently because it'll be counterproductive and another thing to remember is that your future and your career aspirations are not set in stone and can change so do the subjects you enjoy as in the end you'll do better, have a better time in high school.

raspberriesandpears

HSC
it's not automatically better to balance your units, but it can sometimes be suggested. the reason is probably the following:
- 10 units count towards your atar so if you're on 11 units and bomb one of your hsc exams, you still have to include 1 unit worth of that subject in your overall hsc. for example, if 2 unit maths advanced is your worst subject, your one unit of extension 1 maths can only count for one of those units - your bad score still impacts your atar in some capacity

however, this does not mean it's 'better' to take an even number of units. it just depends on your preferences.
(i really enjoy extension 1 english but i'm pretty sure advocating for it is a long shot on bos - i'm like the only person who does 4u)
if you don't get into maths ext 2 it could be worth considering science extension as an extra unit? what do you plan to do after school?

regardless you'll be totally fine, just go with your gut and it'll all work out.

HSC
I did think about how I would balance it out but I may aim to get into ex2 maths to balance it out.
Maths Extension 2 is a year-12 only subject. Keep in mind that year 11 requires at least 12 units, and Y12 requires 10 - meaning you can choose to drop units after year 11, as well as being able to pick up extension 2 math/english, and extension science/history.

What would happen if I didn't balance my units out? Is it just better to balance it?

I'm not really interested in SOR, ex english, photography or SLR
You could do 13 units in year 11, however note that year 11 does not contribute to hsc/atar results, so year 11 is more like a 'trial run' of year 12. Therefore, doing 13 units would be an extra load compared to other students in the cohort.

Also keep in mind that if you do any of the one unit subjects I mentioned (or have I missed any???), the non-Atar ones (bar EE1 and SOR1) discountinue after year 11, so it won't count towards ATAR or anything.

C_master

HSC
Im doing all 3 sciences for the HSC and I want to know if thats doable and if its too hard to time manage

liamkk112

HSC
I was wondering if I were to do the new IPT syllabus Computer Enterprising, how would I study for it? should I do it at all?

I'm thinking of doing
math ex 1 and advanced
eng adv
physics
IPT (?)
two other subjects that I don't know 😭 Any suggestions? I was thinking of business studies/eco/engineering studies but not sure.

Any help is appreciated
the new syllanus for ipt and software looks good af, id reccomend taking it if u like it

C_master

HSC

I'm thinking of doing
math ex 1 and advanced
eng adv
physics
IPT (?)

Any help is appreciated
Just stfu and u will do well 😫

carrotsss

HSC
WOW a second totally not cliche advice 😀😀😀
if u want non-cliched advice: it doesnt matter at all what subjects you pick, if u want the same atar you should be putting the same effort in regardless of the difficulty because scaling cancels everything out. just choose whatever you will enjoy the most and try hard in it, dont worry about difficulty

C_master

HSC
if u want non-cliched advice: it doesnt matter at all what subjects you pick, if u want the same atar you should be putting the same effort in regardless of the difficulty because scaling cancels everything out. just choose whatever you will enjoy the most and try hard in it, dont worry about difficulty
[/QUOTE
Thx bbas 😘

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)