Subject Selection Dilemma (1 Viewer)

SpaceUnicorn

HSC
Hi!

I'm in Year 10, and I'm in a bit of confusion as to what subjects I should do for the HSC. Currently I have chosen:

• English Advanced
  • Maths Advanced + Extension 1
  • Chemistry (accelerated)*
  • Physics
  • Software Design and Development
  • Drama
*accelerated means that I am doing everything 1 year ahead. So I will do the HSC for chem when I am in Year 11 in 2024.

I'm just really unsure what to do for my last subject. Currently I am tossing up between Drama and Biology.

Drama
I picked drama as of now because I already have it as a Year 9-10 elective. My drama teacher is actually the best in the world, and I think I might do well in it. I also think it might provide my with skill that might be useful after the HSC. Also, if I don't pick Drama, all my other subjects are STEM (except English), which obviously limits any variety.

Biology
I am very much considering bio because I am very much a Science person, and I enjoyed it in Year 9-10 (although not as much as chem and physics). Medicine is also a potential career I might be interested in. I am aware that doing triple Science might be detrimental, but I think it is something I can handle. However, as mentioned above, if I pick bio, then all my subjects are STEM (except English).

Note: I am not really interested in any other subjects offered by my school as of now.

If anybody requests any other details to help with my decision, please let me know! Any advice will be appreciated :)

Thank you.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hi!

I'm in Year 10, and I'm in a bit of confusion as to what subjects I should do for the HSC. Currently I have chosen:

• English Advanced
  • Physics
  • Drama
*accelerated means that I am doing everything 1 year ahead. So I will do the HSC for chem when I am in Year 11 in 2024.

I'm just really unsure what to do for my last subject. Currently I am tossing up between Drama and Biology.

Drama
I picked drama as of now because I already have it as a Year 9-10 elective. My drama teacher is actually the best in the world, and I think I might do well in it. I also think it might provide my with skill that might be useful after the HSC. Also, if I don't pick Drama, all my other subjects are STEM (except English), which obviously limits any variety.

Biology
I am very much considering bio because I am very much a Science person, and I enjoyed it in Year 9-10 (although not as much as chem and physics). Medicine is also a potential career I might be interested in. I am aware that doing triple Science might be detrimental, but I think it is something I can handle. However, as mentioned above, if I pick bio, then all my subjects are STEM (except English).

Note: I am not really interested in any other subjects offered by my school as of now.

If anybody requests any other details to help with my decision, please let me know! Any advice will be appreciated :)

Thank you.
It'll be more helpful to also know your goals.

- What industry are you planning to go in (Medicine, IT, engineering...)?
- What is your ATAR goal
- What do you want to do in the HSC (Any commitments such as jobs, extra-currics)
- How do you want your HSC to be? (Are you the type of person to fully devote to studies or you want a balanced life).

There's nothing wrong with doing all STEM subjects, in fact that's pretty normal. However, I did

- Economics
- Maths (Adv to Ext. 2)
- Physics
- English Advanced

in my HSC which was quite balanced since 2 of my subjects were from humanities and other 2 from STEM. The classes were very different as well in terms of cohort, teacher etc. and that made it refreshing in my year 12 however at times it was disruptive to jump from my "sciency brain" to my "essay brain" if that makes sense whereas if I did chem instead of Eco that might not have been an issue?

I can't speak on biology but from what I saw with my friends, it seems to be more focused on your essay-writing skills/memorisation rather than quantitative skills. If you're good at that, you should definitely do it.

I can't speak for drama since I was hopeless at it but I do know there is a stigma to avoid arts based subjects besides music however if you really really love it, go give it a shot, IMO you should enjoy your HSC rather than sweat over it - I wish I could relay how worthless an ATAR realistically is outside of getting past ATAR requirements for degrees. From the looks of it, it seems like you'd really love to do drama but might be worried if its practical for your combination - I'd go for it if I were you.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Hi!

• English Advanced
  • Physics
  • Drama

Drama

Biology

Thank you.
I was debating between phys and bio at the start of year 11, and i decided to do bio

tbh either subject would have been fine because I'm a mathsy person but I get the content for bio anyways
if you choose phys youll be fine honestly

now in terms of drama, i think if you're aiming for a high atar it doesn't scale too well unless you do crazy well..... sooooo maybe idrk

also is SDD going to be a subject in two years??? I thought NESA is scrapping it for software engineering?? https://curriculum.nsw.edu.au/learning-areas/tas/software-engineering-11-12-2022/overview
just fyi

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
It's not as software engineering is to be taught from 2024 as stated by NESA.
thought so <3

just confirming

Hi!

• English Advanced
  • Physics
  • Drama

Drama

Biology

Thank you.
yeah so @literally the coolest name ive seen 🤩 , SDD won't exist when you take HSC???

SpaceUnicorn

HSC
Yes, I am aware it is Software Engineering now, I just thought I would call it the old term in case anybody was confused. Looks like I caused more confusion haha.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Yes, I am aware it is Software Engineering now, I just thought I would call it the old term in case anybody was confused. Looks like I caused more confusion haha.
nah it's all good

rip you'll be literally the first cohort to sit it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)