Subject Selection Advice (1 Viewer)

NoFaceValue

HSC
I hate to start another one, guys, but I'm just looking for advice on what I'm considering doing for HSC. The other threads seem to be more "What are you doing" rather than actual advice.

2 English Advanced
--1 English Ext 1
2 Mathematics (2U)
2 Geography
2 Ancient History
2 Economics/Legal/Business
2 PDHPE
= 13 units

Nope, no science; I get 90+ in almost everything but I get closer to 70 in Science.

Anything here that I should be avoiding?
Anything not here that might be suitable?
Any general comments?

Although I'll be honest and say I made this thread for myself (sorry for the selfishness :bomb:) anyone else who needs advice should feel free to use this thread.

I think I'll go off and try and help others now, my first two posts have been questions and I don't want to drain forum I just joined ;)

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
what would you like to do at uni?

NoFaceValue

HSC
(Sorry for any slow replies in advance... I'm getting horrific lag.)

What I want to do at uni isn't really set in stone yet.
At this point, I'm considering a law degree (I excel at commerce, argument and English... Plus I find the law extremely interesting, so it seems like a good match). I've been told that Economics is good preparation for Law at uni without repeating many topics like in Legal Studies.

Apart from that? I really don't know. All I know is that I will not be entering a scientific area and therefore, 2U maths is the only prerequisite I have to watch out for.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
do economics. it scales one of the best out of the humanities, however you could consider legal seeing as how youre good at law. you are right though in saying repeating topics at uni. law first year tend to study foundations of law and origins so it can get a bit dry.

other than that theres nothing wrong with your subjects

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
btw, do you plan to combine law with any other degree?

NoFaceValue

HSC
btw, do you plan to combine law with any other degree?
I'm not too sure at this point. If I did, I would probably do some sort of business degree as well.

All I know, is that I won't be doing anything with a basis in Science.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
if its a business degree then economics provides a great basis ground for commerce/business uni studies. business studies does not provide that basis and therefore should not be taken

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Hmm, I reckon if you want to do a Law or Combined Law degree, then Legal Studies is essential. Doing Economics wouldn't hurt either. As for your subjects, it seems as though you want to do subjects that prepare you very well for uni so a recommendation would be doing both Legal and Eco by not choosing one of PE or Geography.

HSC
Hmm, I reckon if you want to do a Law or Combined Law degree, then Legal Studies is essential. Doing Economics wouldn't hurt either. As for your subjects, it seems as though you want to do subjects that prepare you very well for uni so a recommendation would be doing both Legal and Eco by not choosing one of PE or Geography.
there's liek a statistic or something about more than half of law students not having legal studies as one of their hsc subjects..

as such, it isnt even a recommended subject..(although im not sure about that)

best advice for getting into law is just doing your strongest subjects to ensure that you get into the course..theres no point doing legal studies and doing poorly in it..and not be accepted into the course..

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
That is so untrue. Legal Studies is not essential to do Law. It's probably better to not do Legal Studies considering it does not scale that well nor is it any way a prerequisite or even assumed knowledge for Law.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
That is so untrue. Legal Studies is not essential to do Law. It's probably better to not do Legal Studies considering it does not scale that well nor is it any way a prerequisite or even assumed knowledge for Law.
True that

first year law students study foundations and basics of law which is essentially legal studies all over again. so take legal if you want to endure a VERY dry first year for law

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)