Subject Scaling (1 Viewer)

gracee09

HSC
I don't know if there is already a thread on this topic. Sorry if there is. :)

I'm just wondering what scaling is exactly and how 'important' is actually is for the HSC.

I've asked one of my teachers about it and he said that its not important at all. However, another teacher said that my chosen subjects "scale poorly".

Just trying to get some light on this cos its got me confused as.

Thanks! :D

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

I'm just wondering what scaling is exactly and how 'important' is actually is for the HSC.

I've asked one of my teachers about it and he said that its not important at all. However, another teacher said that my chosen subjects "scale poorly".

Scaling - done by UAC to determine your ATAR is important.
Moderating - done by BOS to bring your assessment marks into line across the state is important.
Aligning - done by BOS judges to determine the cut-off marks for the bands for the HSC exams is important.

But.... any combination of subjects will allow you to get a high ATAR IF you do very well in them.

What you need to do is simply do your best, revise regularly, practice HSC style questions for each of your courses, revise some more, make sure your notes are comprehensive and cover the dot points of the syllabus and then the above will take care of themselves.

gracee09

HSC
Scaling - done by UAC to determine your ATAR is important.
Moderating - done by BOS to bring your assessment marks into line across the state is important.
Aligning - done by BOS judges to determine the cut-off marks for the bands for the HSC exams is important.

But.... any combination of subjects will allow you to get a high ATAR IF you do very well in them.

What you need to do is simply do your best, revise regularly, practice HSC style questions for each of your courses, revise some more, make sure your notes are comprehensive and cover the dot points of the syllabus and then the above will take care of themselves.
that's what my teacher (the one who didn't care bout scaling) said ... well not word for word lol

thank you :)

Lauchlan

HSC

your general maths will scale you down if you get less than 90 in your HSC exam for it.

Lauchlan

HSC
Which is near impossible?
pfffffft its general maths

prelim is knowledge we already have, and hsc is only a bit of new stuff. thats all.

EDIT: advanced is by far better.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
NO it scales down your ATAR at less than 90.
check the ATAR calculator at Atar calculator
no.

everything scales down other than 4u maths... which is the only subject which truly "scales up"

other subjects such as chem, phy & eco, & the languages etc... just scale "well"

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
no.

everything scales down other than 4u maths... which is the only subject which truly "scales up"

other subjects such as chem, phy & eco, & the languages etc... just scale "well"
what about classical greek extension?

Misyndo

HSC
ITT: 10'ers and 11'ers argue about things they have no idea about.
>Implying 4U Maths doesn't scale up unless you get shit.
>Implying General Maths doesn't scale you down even if you get full marks (ie. capped).
>Implying UAC isn't the official source of information.

Oh you.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
>Implying 4U Maths doesn't scale up unless you get shit.
>Implying General Maths doesn't scale you down even if you get full marks (ie. capped).
>Implying UAC isn't the official source of information.

Oh you.
Congratulations, you have scratched the surface of the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)