• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Subject(s) To Drop for HSC? Your Opinion. (1 Viewer)

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
Hey all, this is my first post here. I was woundering what to drop for year 12 next term.

My current subjects are (with latest test result):

-Studies of Religion I (URGH!, can't drop it either because Catholic School) - 94%
-English (Advanced) - 80%
-Physics - 90%
-Chem - 83%
-Bio - 90%
-Business - 90%
-Maths 2Unit -81% (eew!)
-Maths 3Unit - 79%

I want to either drop Bio/Chem/Business, but can't decide, Thats 14 units there, i want to go either to 13 or 11. Meaning drop one sub outta those (based mostly on maximising my UAI) and stay with 3U maths, or drop any 2 of the above and take up 4U maths.

Your opinions?

Kulazzi

HSC
i think you should drop what you want to drop. Which one do you hate the most out of chem, bio and biz studies? I already dropped software cos I thought my teacher was crap. I think it also depends how good ur teachers are and how they teach you, for biz, my teacher speaks in a monotone but explains very well. One curry girl in my school chose physics over hospitality cos it scales good, even tho she doesn't like it as much as she likes hospitality. If ur worried abt the scaling, then drop the lowest scaled subject, otherwise keep it if ur doing good in it (i.e. biz studies). I'm not sure how high chem or bio scales. So, its ur decision......

mayhemily

HSC
um just drop what you like the least because its hell trying to study about stuff you hate - trust me, i kept business!

HSC
you could drop SOR1 and bludge your way through catholic studies, then'll if i were you, i'd drop bio and/or business since they are relatively low scaled subjects, then pick up 4u

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
kool

really, u think i am ripping through the subjects....? i thought 2 unit and chem were relatively low.

oh well

I don't know, i am putting my projected marks for year 12 into that SAM thingy, reckons i'll get 95+ which is a confidence boost.... i don't know

i can't drop SOR1, its compulsary.... but its easy marks

one thing that is troubling me is my chemistry teacher thinks i shouldn't drop chem but stick with it and not do 4 unit maths...

HSC
currysauce said:
one thing that is troubling me is my chemistry teacher thinks i shouldn't drop chem but stick with it and not do 4 unit maths...
tell him/her to jump off a cliff :p...4u is the way..
couldn't you keep both?

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
yeah

i can keep both, but i don't want to overkill myself of work.... plus chemistry (especially this year) has been lots of work....

basically i want to drop the lowest scaling subject (3u) or subjects (4u)

is it that bad to sit on 10/11 units?

HSC
"basically i want to drop the lowest scaling subject (3u) or subjects (4u)"..

um..i think you've been mistaken...3u/4u maths (assuming you are talking about maths) are the more high scaling subjects.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I agree with too lazy, i would go the chem/4u maths combo if scaling is your aim (and i do them too :D) - but like people say, you're generally better off to do subjects you like.

The other thing is that 13/14 units is a lot of work, (i do 13, could never decide what to drop) but it gives you the option of dropping later in the year once things become clearer or the workload is too much. You have to trust your feelings, but you can make the most of any subject by working at it..... bah, you know what i mean.

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
you don't neccessarily have to drop a subject before the hsc year starts, what a few people did in my year was hold off for another half a term to see what the coursework was like, then made a decsion. it comes down to what subject you least enjoy (not counting english or SOR). If you like them all then i'd probably drop business, last year it scaled less than any of the other subjects you do

EDIT: holy shi-ite i just realised you do 14 units. In that case i'd probably drop another 2u subject and take up ext2 maths or something so you end up with 11 units. If you don't you'll have a hernia come october next year...

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
currysauce said:
really, u think i am ripping through the subjects....? i thought 2 unit and chem were relatively low.

oh well

I don't know, i am putting my projected marks for year 12 into that SAM thingy, reckons i'll get 95+ which is a confidence boost.... i don't know

i can't drop SOR1, its compulsary.... but its easy marks

I reckon you should keep bio, chem, and do 4 unit maths.

Drop business. :)

I'll be doing 11 units myself (damned religion). It's not bad assuming you nail those subjects. Having a backup can be a double edged sword because it means either less time for leisure, or less time for another subject. And finally, the fact that in the end, a subject for which you put a lot of effort into isn't going to count for diddly squat annoys me.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
"basically i want to drop the lowest scaling subject (3u) or subjects (4u)"..

um..i think you've been mistaken...3u/4u maths (assuming you are talking about maths) are the more high scaling subjects.
Actually, they (3/4u maths) ARE the highest scaling subjects, excluding a small few languages.

mojako

HSC
Have u tried SAM? just play around with it to see what will be the best combination for ur UAI :D

with maths ext1 mark of 79%, I dont think u'll be enjoying maths ext2 too much..
u'll still do well after its scaled for the UAI but im not sure if u'll like the subject.
and I guess doing something u like is one of the important factors

and... unless the uni course u want requires a very high UAI, theres no point maximising ur UAI. check that first and base ur subject selection on what UAI u need to get.

>> I want to either drop Bio/Chem/Business, but can't decide <<
Business scales really bad.. like General Maths, so just drop it

>> Meaning drop one sub outta those (based mostly on maximising my UAI) and stay with 3U maths, or drop any 2 of the above and take up 4U maths. Your opinions? <<
In my opinion, drop business and stay with 3U maths.
that will ensure u get good UAI because u dont know yet how u'd do in ext2.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Mojako's advice MIGHT be correct. There's really no way to know unless you try ext 2 first and if you decide you don't like it, drop it.

I was failing maths in Year 10 Advanced, and my teachers basically told me I had to do general in year 11. I ignored them and did 3 unit, and am coming first in it.

Nobody can determine the future.

mojako

HSC
Slide Rule said:
Mojako's advice MIGHT be correct. There's really no way to know unless you try ext 2 first and if you decide you don't like it, drop it.

I was failing maths in Year 10 Advanced, and my teachers basically told me I had to do general in year 11. I ignored them and did 3 unit, and am coming first in it.

Nobody can determine the future.
amazing!
ive only heard of the opposite (i.e. did well in younger yrs)

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
thanks all

thanks all for the input.... i am going to most probably drop business.....

do 4 unit and if i enjoy/go well i'll drop a further subject...

anyway i want to be a psychiatrist.... how do i go about becoming one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)