Subject recommendation (1 Viewer)

Shonin

HSC
Well subject selection has come for many us, and i bet many of you reading will be doing 4 unit maths. Not me, because my teacher does not recommend me even though my marks have been at the 80% mark. The thing is, many people that were allowed to do 4 unit maths had received lower marks then me, and when i say lower, i mean 60-70%. I took this up with the head teacher of maths, deputy principal, and i'm guessing no means no. I asked for a reason and i got..we dont think you have dont that 'omph'. like umm r u ok in the head? I got denied the chance because i lacked 'omph'. I still want to do 4 unit, so what are the options left for me?

:(

karnoganguli

HSC
They can't stop you from doing 4 unit. They can only suggest to you not to do it. I believe they're breaching some kind of law because one guy in my year is failing 3 unit but has been accepted into the course. I've been accepted (and getting around 75%, though without study, stupid accelerated 2 unit). I might not accept it though... back to you. They can't do that and i think you should contact the board of studies or the student council. Just because you don't have the omph... bshit.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
like ^^ said, i doubt they can actually STOP you from taking up 4u maths.

get a signed note from your parents saying that you & your parents want you to take the 4u course

:) that'll fix it.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
-pari- said:
like ^^ said, i doubt they can actually STOP you from taking up 4u maths.

get a signed note from your parents saying that you & your parents want you to take the 4u course

:) that'll fix it.
Wdf? a signed note from your parents saying that you and your parents want you to take the 4u course?

A school can stop you from doing any subject, if they don't feel that you're capable of acheiving good results in it.

s2caz

just smile.
HSC
i dont know about your school, but my school does recommend people from not doing some courses but they cant stop them from doing that course if they have a note from their parents.. so yeah~ -_-;;

canned soup

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Wdf? a signed note from your parents saying that you and your parents want you to take the 4u course?

A school can stop you from doing any subject, if they don't feel that you're capable of acheiving good results in it.
They can't really. For example, my friend and I both want to do 4U Eng but they recommended that my friend didn't do it because she didn't seem like she had the "omph" - as Shonin put it. It's a real dedication thing. But she's still allowed to do it and the teachers will still give her all the support that the rest of us will recieve.
They're not allowed to stop you from doing a subject, but you should listen to what your teachers say and take into account your ability and your dedication to the subject. Do you have enough in you to make you really want to do it and further, go on with it for the whole year?

A l

HSC
N/A
Believe it or not, it is up to the school to determine what courses you can and cannot do and they do have the right to refuse to teach a student a particular course. It depends on the school whether you are given a freedom of choice or not. Therefore, (unfortunately) your school is not breaking any rules. The Board of Studies has given schools and principals the right to allocate students in particular courses in whatever way they see fit. In other words, the Board of Studies is actually powerless when it comes to this issue. The best they can do is advise you. I know it's unfair, but unfortunately, such schools are not breaking any Board of Studies rules.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Shonin maybe you fluked the last result?

Or those people 'lower' than you had consistently done better in the junior years?

Or you had set the head maths teacher's car on fire last xmas.

there's many variables as you mathem-atiques would call it so deal with it. sorry but some things don't always work out and the most realistic thing you could probably do now is take it on the chin cane 3u and 2u, GG hsc and your through.

stop whinging, some schools don't even offer 4u maths :)

me&you

HSC
Were those people who got lower than you in your class? At my school, only a set number from each class are chosen. Even if you get higher than the people who get into 4u from a different class, but youre not the top X in your class, you can't get chosen. Stupid.

Was your last assessment something with everything in it or a topic test?

And have you been consistent throughout the year?

Shonin

HSC
bobness said:
Or you had set the head maths teacher's car on fire last xmas.

i wish i did. :burn:

Yea, they were in other classes so its pretyt stupid. Last assessment had pretty much evrythin in it and i got 86 %

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
don't worry there's always harvard ;)

like i said earlier cane 3u and 2u. then maybe set that car on fire when you graduate bahahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)