Subject i would like more info on (1 Viewer)

Chang

HSC
Im in yr 11 and next year for some selected students at my skool we get an option of doing 1 of 3 subjects of our choice in correspondence at UNSW (i fink), these subjects are cosmology, philosophy and some other subject. I was wondering if anyone here has or is studying one of these subjects so they could tell me wether is any good

Twintip

The third one is Comparative Literature.

I assume you know a pre-requisite for any of these courses is having accelerated at least 2 units of an HSC subject in year 11 (or previously, etc)?

I do Philosophy. It's pretty good. The workload is only as heavy as you want it to be and it scales pretty well but not as well as it seems [state average is 40/50 or so per unit (whereas average, like geog, is 25/50 and 4u maths averages at about 42-43/50 from year-to-year)]. There are a LOT of smart people who do it though, I'm in it with people who have done 13 units, etc. So dont think its going to be easy to beat the state average. I guess its because some of the people arent as spectacular at the bread and butter subjects as maybe youd expect. It's an interesting environment.

The residential schools (there are 3) are at UNSW for us Philosophy people (Comp Lit is at Macquarie I think and I think Cosmo does a big road trip out west). Philosophy is done by correspondence through UNE in Armidale and the others are done through CSU.

If the subject interests you and you think you'll go well enough in your accelerated subject to get in (it's not that hard if your school report is reasonably good too) then go for it!! They are a lot more 'casual' than the run-of-the-mill HSC subjects. :)

Last edited:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
my friend's doing philosophy and we waste free periods arguing.

Twintip

There are 3 from your year I think. Lysandra, Mads and Juliette? (I went to public school with Lysandra too, small world).

ReaveR

HSC
Originally posted by Toodulu
my friend's doing philosophy and we waste free periods arguing.
my friend's doing philosopy and we waste real periods arguing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)