Subject Combo for Law & Comp Science (1 Viewer)

oml

HSC
Hey guys, what would be the best subject combination for law & computer science? Also what is the ideal LAT + Atar (I don't think I'm getting anything higher than 95 and I'm not even apart of the gateway scheme 😭) Sorry for asking on here, I just dk where to ask and I would love to here anyones opinions !

Last edited:

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
what a workload you will have

for lat around a 75 is good enough but you will probs need low 80s at least

Reactions: oml

lolcti

HSC
N/A
who the hel keeps deleting my comments u biased b what did I say

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
oh yeah for LAT hopefully I'll be in the 85-90th percentile and if I don't its ok I can try again in yr12 and if I fail ill just kms
you’ve got 2 tries (yr11 and 12)? and I was referring to the score out of 100 in my previous post, don’t underestimate it

oml

HSC
I'm aware it's difficult to get a high score. I've got tutoring for a few months next year and If I end up failing I just wasted my parents money, so I really am aiming to get around 85-88 and hopefully that'll go to the 90th percentile or close to. There's just a lot of things stopping me for e.g commute to school, accelerated subjects hsc being around that time, parental expectations...

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
I'm aware it's difficult to get a high score. I've got tutoring for a few months next year and If I end up failing I just wasted my parents money, so I really am aiming to get around 85-88 and hopefully that'll go to the 90th percentile or close to. There's just a lot of things stopping me for e.g commute to school, accelerated subjects hsc being around that time, parental expectations...
lat tutoring exists???

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
I got lower than that and got 90th percentile so you should be fine hopefully if all goes well

Good luck

victor_yan

HSC
Hi, my name is Victor Yan and I graduated 2022 with an ATAR of 99.80. I currently study Law/Computer Science at UNSW. In terms of subjects, if you have an interest in law, I think legal studies is a no brainer, though in no way is this necessary and it does not advantage you in any way. I did not take legal studies. First year law courses are case heavy, and from what others have told me, legal studies is more terminology and content based - so the extent it will help you is you will have an understanding of the basics - such as what courts there are etc.

For comp sci, maths should definitely be a subject you take. Choose the level of maths you are most comfortable with, though 4U should be recommended. Year 1 math which you must take extends 4U. At uni they teach the 4U content extremely quickly (so quick that it is infeasible that you understand it properly). I would highly recommend 4U in high school. The pace at school is very digestible and if you remain consistent, is manageable (may consider tutoring).

LAT they really do not care much. Its a misconception that it matters. I got an 83 and made it. I have friends who got LAT of 30, with a mid 98 ATAR and made it. My conclusion is its only considered if your ATAR isn't the greatest, but you have a good LAT, otherwise ATAR is sufficient. I also believe you shouldn't need tutoring for it. It really is just writing with clarity. Just remember it is the complete opposite of HSC english. Write with short sentences and with clarity. One idea per sentence.

If these tips resonated with you, you’ll find _sproutify_ on instagram and tiktok super helpful too. I just started the platform recently and my vision is currently to post infographics and soon start a free email newsletter sharing HSC tips and systems to help students sproutify. Stay tuned for more🌿

If you would like to reach out, I’d be more than happy to assist with any enquiries. You can DM me on Instagram @_sproutify_ or my personal instagram @_victor_yan_, or LinkedIn Victor Yan for any uni questions you have.

oml

HSC
Hi, my name is Victor Yan and I graduated 2022 with an ATAR of 99.80. I currently study Law/Computer Science at UNSW. In terms of subjects, if you have an interest in law, I think legal studies is a no brainer, though in no way is this necessary and it does not advantage you in any way. I did not take legal studies. First year law courses are case heavy, and from what others have told me, legal studies is more terminology and content based - so the extent it will help you is you will have an understanding of the basics - such as what courts there are etc.

For comp sci, maths should definitely be a subject you take. Choose the level of maths you are most comfortable with, though 4U should be recommended. Year 1 math which you must take extends 4U. At uni they teach the 4U content extremely quickly (so quick that it is infeasible that you understand it properly). I would highly recommend 4U in high school. The pace at school is very digestible and if you remain consistent, is manageable (may consider tutoring).

LAT they really do not care much. Its a misconception that it matters. I got an 83 and made it. I have friends who got LAT of 30, with a mid 98 ATAR and made it. My conclusion is its only considered if your ATAR isn't the greatest, but you have a good LAT, otherwise ATAR is sufficient. I also believe you shouldn't need tutoring for it. It really is just writing with clarity. Just remember it is the complete opposite of HSC english. Write with short sentences and with clarity. One idea per sentence.

If these tips resonated with you, you’ll find _sproutify_ on instagram and tiktok super helpful too. I just started the platform recently and my vision is currently to post infographics and soon start a free email newsletter sharing HSC tips and systems to help students sproutify. Stay tuned for more🌿

If you would like to reach out, I’d be more than happy to assist with any enquiries. You can DM me on Instagram @_sproutify_ or my personal instagram @_victor_yan_, or LinkedIn Victor Yan for any uni questions you have.
heyyy, how do you manage your time and how much time do you study for both degrees? Do you think its manageable?

victor_yan

HSC
heyyy, how do you manage your time and how much time do you study for both degrees? Do you think its manageable?
It is quite challenging, not to sugarcoat any aspect of it. But having study systems in place can ensure maximising efficiency and return on investment. In uni, life is a lot more than just studying (unlike HSC where you can actually spend all your time studying). I work as a paralegal and tutor on the side. Part of it is lowering your standards and mindset for marks (not in a bad giving up way), but convincing yourself that its okay to drop a few marks in your WAM, to in return have a social life, maintain health, and get work experience. ie) being well rounded. After speaking to upper years people and attending law careers events, this is especially so in law where your network is key.

So out of the remaining time which you can dedicate to studying, efficiency is key. Every term I reflect on how I can study 'smarter' not 'harder', and I recognise the great value in doing so. This is also the motivation and vision I have in sharing my findings on sproutify, for students with a similar mindset as me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)