• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Subject choices- Need help with Science selections (1 Viewer)

black_angel

HSC
Im deciding whether to do Physics and Chemistry next year. My subjects are 3U Maths, Advanced English, Japanese, Economics and probably Physics.
Im having a bit of a dilema chosing from Business, Modern History or Chem.

I must have at least 12 Units for Year 11 HSC course.

My aim is to get into Vetinary Science @ Sydney University. I should be focusing on getting my marks first, but out of the three which one will be most beneficial to me? My Science in general isnt very strong, but i do enjoy Physics and Chem (once i get it).

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Focus on your marks and what you'll enjoy the most (that way you should be getting your best marks in return). Vet science is pretty interesting and Chemistry will be beneficial. It's often good to have Chemistry for just about every science course at university (although I like Physics just as equally).

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
chem is more useful as a subject, in case you don't make it into vet sci, or change your mind in year 11/12. many more courses have chem as recommended knowledge rather than phys.

black_angel

HSC
would it be too difficult to do both sciences? especially when you arent that great at science ?

lychnobity

HSC
would it be too difficult to do both sciences? especially when you arent that great at science ?
It can be. But if you genuinely like the subject, choose it.

In HSC year, chemistry and physics get harder (physics to a bigger degree), be aware of the fact.

NoFaceValue

HSC
My advisors have told me this year that almost every science course has a basis in chemistry. It would seem that your interest seems to be in this area, so that's something that you may find useful.

My careers advisor also told me
"It's fine to have one or two subjects which you do out of interest; not skill. Obviously you don't want a flush of subjects which you find hard, but if you're motivated, you'll do much better than if you're bored in an easy subject."

I say this a lot, but there are 3 considerations to make when choosing your subjects
1. Do what you're good at
2. Do what you enjoy
3. Do what will help you in further studies.

From that, it would appear that Chemistry and Physics is a good idea, but I haven't heard of your enjoyment in other subjects.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
how are you going in english? consider taking extension english if youre good so you dont have to worry about bus, chem or mdoern (maximum lulz) chem is good for vet. science, its good for any science degree.

btw, if youre not good at science take some serious consideration if taking both phys and chem. (unless youre motivated of course)

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Yes. Do Chemistry and Physics.

You'll never know, if you never try.

Chemistry can get hard. Physics is easy as cheese.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Do physics and chem unless you struggle a lot with science. Otherwise, if you're good at essays and like learning about politics than do modern :)

ptrgrgry

HSC
Chem is more important than physics for veterenary science.
Don't do business studies whatever you do!
Modern is a good subject and is the better scaling history.

In my opinion, you should strike a balance. I didn't and I think it would be nice if I had done. You should keep your options and horizons open at this point in your life.

black_angel

HSC
Wouldnt it be too much on my plate doing Chemistry as well?

Im really worried im going to struggle.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Vet Science? Chemistry. It's more applicable to the biological sciences.

veeveearnh

HSC
Vet Science? Chemistry. It's more applicable to the biological sciences.
Funnily enough, physics is an "Assumed Knowledge" in some Vet science courses (from the brochures I've seen). Then again, Chem is also "Assumed Knowledge". I guess bridging courses can work, so to the OP, just look at the syllabuses and ask previous students. Ignore your uni choices for now, because a high ATAR can get you anywhere.

I find that overall, more people drop physics than chem, but that is a huge generalisation. :\

black_angel

HSC
I ended up taking

3U maths, Advanced English, Economics, Jap, Physics and Chem

I hope i havent made the wrong decision for chem, i've heard its a difficult subject and i might struggle with two sciences...but if i cant cope i'll drop one of them.

I know its a lot but our requirement is at least 12 for the HSC. So i'll probably decide next year which to drop to pick up 4U maths if im good enough.

RioTinto

HSC
N/A
My daughter isnt doing chem (hates it) in yr 12 does bio and physics however wants to do a science degree. Bio is what she loves is there a science degree with minimal or no chem?? Sydney area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)