I am currently going into year 12 and do:
- Math advanced
- Math extension
- English advanced
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Legal studies
- Studies of religion 1

I want to drop legal studies because It will not help me with what I want to do and I would like to pick up math extension 2. Legal is one of my best subjects so I am unsure.

Math extension 2 is being offered and I enjoy math and do well in it, so I would like to pick it up.

Science extension is also being offered which sounds interesting but I do not know if it would be to much work aswell as extension 2 maths.

I also want to drop to English standard (because I don’t enjoy English and think I should focus on math) but I am above average in my english advanced, so I am unsure.

What is your advice/thoughts?

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Pick up math ext 2.

Drop legal if you don’t like it and it’s not one of your top performing subjects.

Science extension has quite a few reports and goes through more of the technical and worded aspects of the science field. Not too sure if you’re into that lol.

I’d say keep English advanced. I’m telling you standard and advanced literally has no difference. If it’s just because you “don’t like it” well unlucky lmao it doesn’t get any easier in standard. The workload will be the same for both.

In the end it’s up to you. But hopefully this info is helpful.

carrotsss

HSC
I also want to drop to English standard (because I don’t enjoy English and think I should focus on math) but I am above average in my english advanced, so I am unsure.
Please don’t drop advanced, it’s not that much harder than standard and if anything you should be focusing on English even if you don’t enjoy it because 2 units of English must count towards your atar.

Also remember with maths extension 2 that maths is still only at max 40% of your units, so you ideally shouldn't be spending more than 40% of your time on it. Remember, your other subjects are just as (if not more) important for your atar.

Patty_s

HSC
Ext 2 maths will pull you up so much if you do decently in it, def pick it up if you're interested!

Legal has a lot more content in Y12 and will take up quite a big chunk of your study time compared to your STEM subjects. If you enjoy it, it could be worth keeping since you're doing very well (win-win), but if not, you'd be far better off dropping it and putting all your effort into the sciences and maths (esp because learning content for them will benefit multiple subjects at the same time since they all somewhat overlap)

If you're passionate about science, extension could be really fun, but remember that it's only half the units of maths x2, with a similar workload.

Also for english!!! Keep advanced!! Standard scaling will screw you over, so stay in advanced if you can keep up with the content !
If you need more convincing: there's an entire module that Advanced and Standard both do...so you won't be escaping advanced all that much 😔

If your school allows it, and you're willing to take on the workload, I'd say pick up everything that you're hesitating about and give them all a try in the first few weeks. And if you don't want to do them anymore, just drop the subject right before the first assessment : ) This way you won't have any regrets about dropping or not picking up a certain subject

Hope this helped, and good luck for y12!
Do you think the workload would be fine if I dropped legal and picked up extension 2 math? Because I would like to improve on my other subjects aswell.

Anaya R

HSC
I am currently going into year 12 and do:
- Math advanced
- Math extension
- English advanced
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Legal studies
- Studies of religion 1

I want to drop legal studies because It will not help me with what I want to do and I would like to pick up math extension 2. Legal is one of my best subjects so I am unsure.

Math extension 2 is being offered and I enjoy math and do well in it, so I would like to pick it up.

Science extension is also being offered which sounds interesting but I do not know if it would be to much work aswell as extension 2 maths.

What is your advice/thoughts?
In addition to what everyone has said above, it'd be helpful to consider what you want to do in uni.
If you're going for a STEM career or want to focus on research as a career, then Science Extension could be valuable because you do look at research and science in a greater depth.
Also consider the workloads as aperfectdayfor mentioned. Chem and Phys are also content heavy subjects too, as does Maths Ext 2 (since a lot of it is new work and different to ME1).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)