sub-genres in Crime fiction? Techniques? (1 Viewer)

OutOfOrder

HSC
Hey
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what are the sub-genre's used in crime fiction (eg, hard-boiled, cosy, subversion... are there any else?) and what techniques are commonly used in crime fiction?

much appreciated!

Alaranth

Well, there's about a million. Any genre you can think of, if it has crime in it, its a sub genre. Any style you can think of, it's a sub genre. There are many, many sub genres.

tennille

HSC
OutOfOrder said:
Hey
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what are the sub-genre's used in crime fiction (eg, hard-boiled, cosy, subversion... are there any else?) and what techniques are commonly used in crime fiction?

much appreciated!
Realist...

illodous

Angels...
HSC
Hey there,

The main ones we are studying in Crime Fiction for Extension 1 are indeed the Cosy and the Hard-boiled. You needn't really concern yourself with the others unless it's personal interest.

I will try my best to give you the conventions as I know them.

Cosy:

* A small group of (house)guests all close enough to have commit the crime; most, if not all have motives

* There is often a host and an accompanying butler/servant which hints at the upper-middle class in which cosy resides.

* Almost always located in a manor house or other enclosed setting, often a prominent history and described in flowery detail to hint at financial affluence and bourgeous values

* There is always a victim - often the first murder triggers subsequent deaths

* Crime often centres on money/death/financial dependence or liberation, or even revenge.

* The detective is not always a professional; often an amateur 'sleuth', or common person with a hobby or erking for snuffing out criminals.

* There is usually the prescence of red herrings, or false clues, set by the author to keep the reader guessing.

* Often is/often not working alongside the police in the investigation

* The sleuth typically possesses higher-class values and mannerisms, powerful skills of mental and rational deduction

* There is a denoument, which involves the gathering of all characters into a room for the final accusation.

Hard-boiled:

* There is a private detective, often world-weary, streetwise, resourceful, often with a history of failed relationships and a bit of a loner.

* The setting is invariably urban - dark, seedy, violent and presented in gruesome detail

* Often there is personal danger for the detective; although the PI is not often involved in his cases on a personal level, he (or she) is often in a position of imminent threat

* The sleuth usually is shown to be tackling the moral/social corruption around him as he is "morally superior"

* There is either one or a number of crimes which are also described in detail

* Realistic, rather than intuitionist

I'm sure what I have isn't definitive... if anybody can see something I've forgotten, please mention it for the benefit of the thread.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I am afraid I have to disagree with illodous. I beleive you need more than just Hard-Boiled and Cosy. We also covered 19th Centuary, Modern and Feminist. You should have a wide variety of texts from different eras/subgeners, especially if you get a quesion like the one in the 2002 HSC paper ...

illodous

Angels...
HSC
McLake said:
I am afraid I have to disagree with illodous. I beleive you need more than just Hard-Boiled and Cosy. We also covered 19th Centuary, Modern and Feminist. You should have a wide variety of texts from different eras/subgeners, especially if you get a quesion like the one in the 2002 HSC paper ...
Aye, good point. 'Twas silly of me to leave that out.

I don't know if you'd really consider these to be "sub-genres" as such, but it's essential to have knowledge of the precursors to the genre eg. Arthur Conan Doyle, Edgar Allen Poe as well as Golden Age movements such as Agatha Christie with her female spinster Ms. Marple and the growth of female writers... Dorothy L. Sayers, Ngaio Marsh...

Also try maybe to consider the early forms of the hard-boiled school.. Dashiell Hammet perhaps? Raymond Chandler?

Again, I hope I've got it on the head this time but I don't think I'm completely definitive.

gorgo31

HSC
Something my teacher told me: apparently, the examiners are disliking the use of the term "Cosy" Crime Fiction. The alternative is "Golden Age" which essentially means the same thing. I don't think it'll add / detract from your response if you use "Cosy" though, perhaps it's just that everyone is using it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)