stupid question abt. dentistry (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah, how does a person choose dentistry, when i haven't seen any courses listed that mention dentistry- so whats the deal, i'm just a little curious (even though i'm not interested in choosing dentistry at the moment).

Huy

HSC
N/A
Dentistry is postgraduate, so you'll have to complete a degree before you can attempt to gain entrance into Dentistry. You'll also have to pass the GAMSAT. Following this, based on your test performance and I assume other criteria (such as tertiary scores) you'll compete with other Dentistry-hopefuls.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Basically, yes.

krn_boy

You can apply for Melbourne University if you want to go straight from High School. For that, your HSC mark and UMAT scores are used.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I kno a girl who failed to get into Med at UNSW but made Dentistry at Melbourne

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
^ ditto.

it's a 6 year course but
a lot of time to be spending in a city that's not your home.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
so tell me guys: whats the ideal path that one shuld take in order to become a dentist by the end of the university life? i.e whats the quickest way in sydney to bcome a dentist?

Huy

HSC
N/A
See my first post? :confused:

ND

HSC
IIRC you can get into UQ's dentistry after 1 year in uni.

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
I kno a girl who failed to get into Med at UNSW but made Dentistry at Melbourne
Originally posted by johnson
^ ditto.

it's a 6 year course but
a lot of time to be spending in a city that's not your home.
people like that are usually just after making lots of money, and that being their primary goal. Dentistry and med are worlds apart, and to 'fall back' on dentistry cos you don't make it into med is pretty pathetic. If med was your passion you would choose a science degree, attempt to transfer each year, and if still unsuccessful, try to get into post grad med.

crackerj

HSC
N/A
Dent in Australia

1. Undergraduate Entry

- UWA -> UMAT + Interview + UAI

- Adelaide -> UMAT + Interview + UAI

- Melbourne -> UMAT + UAI

- I do not know whether there is a practical aptitude test in above unis.... I have heard there is but I'm not sure about it...

2. Graduate Entry

- Usyd -> GAMSAT (>50) + GPA (>4.0/7.0) + Interview
+ Practical Aptitude Test

- Queensland -> It seems that not many people know about this one but yeah there is one in UQ... you need to study 'prerequisites' for one year at whatever university and you need to get very high GPA (their GPA calculating system is different from GAMSA which is used in calculating GPA for graduate medicine/dentistry). It seems that you need to get close to the HD average.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by crackerj
...2. Graduate Entry

- Usyd -> GAMSAT (>50) + GPA (>4.0/7.0) + Interview
+ Practical Aptitude Test

- Queensland -> It seems that not many people know about this one but yeah there is one in UQ... you need to study 'prerequisites' for one year at whatever university and you need to get very high GPA (their GPA calculating system is different from GAMSA which is used in calculating GPA for graduate medicine/dentistry). It seems that you need to get close to the HD average.
thanx. :)

btw, does unsw provide a graduate dentistry program?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
btw, does unsw provide a graduate dentistry program?
I don't think it does? :confused:

I've never heard of one,

Huy

HSC
N/A
But you're not interested in becoming a Dentist, freaking_out? :confused:
Originally posted by freaking_out
even though i'm not interested in choosing dentistry at the moment.
I don't think it's hard to become a dentist (personally), but it takes a long time for you to become a dentist - instead of simply applying for an undergraduate B.Dent course, at university at the age of 18 (or even 17). For those who are truly passionate about becoming a dentist, they'll put in the hours and go the whole nine yards to become a dentist, but there is no 'simple' solution to becoming a dentist -- in Sydney.

I suppose it's good in a way, because you don't have people applying for dentistry straight off, through UAC, and this reduces the amount of people doing it because it's prestigious -- leaving behind those who are truly interested in serving the community, health, teeth, and the well being of others -- even if that means taking a few more years of study, leading up to the title and approval (becoming accredited and starting your own clinic). :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
But you're not interested in becoming a Dentist, freaking_out? :confused:...
na, i'm not interested atm in doing it, but i thought that u could do dentistry straight off and i had an argument wif a guy who claimed that it was a graduate course...so yeah, thats why. :D :mad1:

yeah, but that guy did ask me to prove that it was an undergraduate- so i'm just gonna say that its undergraduate in melbourne, and then u can transfer to sydney. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)