Studying...? (1 Viewer)

HSC
If you have a test...how much time in advance to you begin studying and how to you set out studying the topics involved...do you go through them all at once? or one by one...[I normally leave 3days before the test to look over stuff..but something tells me i shouldnt be doing that this year. :mad1: ]

P

pLuvia

I left a night before the tests lol, bar the major exams :p

Don't bother with textbook questions too much I'm sure your teachers will use past HSC questions, considering that's what my teacher did, thankfully I had already covered most of the past papers already.

ssglain

HSC
I think different study and exam prep routines work in different ways for different people.

There are friends of mine who prefer tedious repetitions so they dilute this over lengthy periods of time and tend to start preparing for exams/assessements as early as a month in advance. Others such as pLuvia can get away with last minute preparation. Personally, I usually concentrate my study 2 or 3 days ahead of an exam because the sudden boost works better for me.

I think it also depends on how much maths you do on a daily basis because if you're constant learning and revising , it will take a lot shorter time to prepare for an exam. I have 6 90-minute periods of maths a week so that's guaranteed almost 2 hours a day and I feel that's enough for me. If you find it hard to devote huge blocks of time to preparation prior to exams, maybe it would be better to increase the time you spend on maths each day.

And I agree with pLuvia that you shouldn't bother with textbook exercises in exam preparation. Past papers will always provide far more accurate prediction of the question types that will be likely to appear in your exam. Don't just go for HSC papers though - trial papers and past school assessment/topic test papers are always good too.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Night before exams, except for trial and HSC, 2 nights before those exams. Study would have involved doing every question I could find in those areas we were examined on, but for trials and HSC, I just did questions on topics and areas i was weaker at.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
i work towards the exam for a few weeks prior

that includes finishing excercises in my school text book, [if i haven't already done so]
moving to harder questions ==> finishing questions in coroneos

and any other questions i could find on those topics. especially try pull them out from past papers etc.

i say a few weeks, but thats becoz i do a little bit per day....so i can balance it out with other subjects.
i personally dont find cramming effective for maths.

HSC
I was thinking of doing it like you do it pari...Just becaue it'll take me a bit of time to remember the 2u topics...plus i have to focus on my other subs too..

but yeah i didnt think of using past papers...maybe i should have a look at that..

thanks guys...

any more tips would be welcome

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Look at the key points and the examples, noting how each question is approached, and how and for what sort of questions is each theorem used. And when you come across a question, think of all possible theorems/methods that could have something to do with it, and try them :)

haque

HSC
do the harder q from cambridge(really good if u do the extension ones) and Ruse and grammer trials(not all the q the ones relevant) and also do past hsc q. around 3 days of prep before the exam should be enough-mind u maths is a subject u shouldn't cram for-no matter how much u think u know-do q u can't do not the ones ur comfortable with- deal with ur weaknesses not ur strengths so simply trials and hsc shouldn't be enough.

HSC
eeeegh..maths is harrrrd...*pouts*
poo so much work...

tomorrow i'll try to start on some of cambridge possibly... : /

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)