studying past papers (1 Viewer)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
kiannafirerose said:
what do u think about studying past hsc papers? do they help?
given the fact that it seems many trial papers and even hsc papers just keep asking the same things all the time i think it is really good to do past papers.

although i do think that you need to do more than just past papers.

jcurry

HSC
yeh they do help, but there not the only way to study
there very useful for knowing the kind of questions and stuff that the hsc and trials ask

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
kiannafirerose said:
I liked them because it gave me a good indication of the type of questions asked in the exams and the more I did the better because I there are many surprise questions and I like to be prepared for them.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Past Papers are most effective when used under simulated exam conditions, giving you a realistic expectation of how you might perform in the actual exam.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
kiannafirerose said:
Studying past hsc and past trial papers (i recommend CSSA and NEAP) are the only way to go.

When i did the hsc i did the past 20 hsc math papers.

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
BIGTYMA said:
Studying past hsc and past trial papers (i recommend CSSA and NEAP) are the only way to go.

what mark did you get for maths?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
differnt people prefer different methods of study. find what is effective for you and do it. what may be effective for one may not be effective for another.

Aplus said:
Past Papers are most effective when used under simulated exam conditions, giving you a realistic expectation of how you might perform in the actual exam.
i disagree. i found doing them in a relaxed environment taking as much time as i wanted best.

the reason i did them was to learn the material and re-iterate it in my mind.

that said usually i ended up doing 1 timed just to see how i went with time.

if you choose to do them in time constraints, make sure when you finish you go back to questions you rushed or skipped and spend as much time as you need on them

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
BIGTYMA said:

they are soo hard...my physics teacher uses them for topic tests...gahh i hate it.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
To tell you all the truth I never did any under proper exam conditions.
I ran out of time in HSC Maths but got a Band 5 but now that I'm at uni I see if it worked as I also ran out of time.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
me121 said:
i disagree. i found doing them in a relaxed environment taking as much time as i wanted best.

the reason i did them was to learn the material and re-iterate it in my mind.

that said usually i ended up doing 1 timed just to see how i went with time.

if you choose to do them in time constraints, make sure when you finish you go back to questions you rushed or skipped and spend as much time as you need on them
Yeah, but in a relaxed environment you might go and look through your notes and stuff, so it wouldn't really be a realistic observation of your progress.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Aplus said:
Yeah, but in a relaxed environment you might go and look through your notes and stuff, so it wouldn't really be a realistic observation of your progress.
Then you can do the exam without notes.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
Then you can do the exam without notes.
That was my point. Why else do you think I was rebutting his comment?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Aplus said:
It depends why you are doing the past papers. If you are doing them to get an idea how you would go if you sat the exam today then doing them under exam conditions is probably the only way to do it.

However if (like me) you are doing past papers to learn and to get better so that when you do your actual exam you will do better, then I would say take as long as you need, if you get stuck go read your notes, go read the textbook and see if you can do the question with those aids.

The first method may give you an indication of how you would go, but the second method would help you improve so that in the actual exam you can do better. I think both are useful in HSC prep, but I focused more on the latter one.

I always did past papers with my notes by my side and I referred to them all the time. This way, I got so used to referring to them that by the time I got to my HSC i had memorised all my notes so in the actual exam I didn't need to look at my notes rather I could simply look at my notes in my mind.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Past papers are the best practice for every test. Textbook questions are always "styled" differently to HSC and trial questions.

You need to get a feel for the HSC and trial questions and the only way to do this is to do as many Past HSC and trial papers as possible.

I did about 40-50 2unit math past papers. and around 35-40 3unit maths past papers.

It really helps

ywontuend

HSC
Omium said:
Past papers are the best practice for every test. Textbook questions are always "styled" differently to HSC and trial questions.

You need to get a feel for the HSC and trial questions and the only way to do this is to do as many Past HSC and trial papers as possible.

I did about 40-50 2unit math past papers. and around 35-40 3unit maths past papers.

It really helps

I agree i think past papers help. BTW what did u get for both maths?

Poad

HSC
Omium said:
I think that's a bit excessive. o_o

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)