• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Studying japanese unaided (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm not the best to answer this, but it is essentially a "romantic" interaction between males (often one or both are not aware of their own homosexuality, and the events recounted are about their "discovery").

Think of it as gay romance, but more profound. Or something. The female equivalent is "Yuri".

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Think of it as gay romance, but more profound.
AHAHAHAHHAAH, best sentence to be typed on bos EVER
yeh newbie it describes your affair with sexy jap ceo PERFECTLY!
with some luck you'll be able to sleep your way to the top... don't let the fact senior management consist completely of men deter you! i'm sure you've already gotten some practise at sbhs ;)

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Yaoi

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Yaoi (pronounced /jaoi/, sound like "Yah-Oh-ee" rather than "Yow-ee" or "Ya-oy", all vowels are pronounced), originally referred to fan manga (such as doujinshi) that focused on a homosexual relationship between two male characters, especially two bishounen - the manga equivalent of slash. The term is an acronym derived from yama nashi, ochi nashi, imi nashi, meaning "no climax, no resolution, no meaning.". Most Yaoi readers are female, as are most of the writers. Some have claimed that those enjoying Yaoi have difficulty expressing their sexuality but this is a highly questionable conclusion.

Nowadays, the term is often used in a general way to refer to male-male sexual or romantic content anywhere in the galaxy of anime, manga and fan fiction based on these; usually of a more hard-core nature than shounen-ai, sometimes going so far as to include hentai. This may be the reason why many erroneously believed yaoi stood for yamete, oshiri ga itai! ("Stop, my butt hurts!").

Some of the characters who are most common subjects of yaoi include: The boys of Gravitation; Kaworu and Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion; the characters of Gundam Wing, especially Heero and Duo; the boys of Wei Kreuz and Gensomaden Saiyuki; Vincent, Sephiroth and Cloud from Final Fantasy; and Subaru, Seishiro, Kamui, and Fuuma from X/1999.

Over the years, gay-themed comic strips inspired by and referred to as yaoi has been adapted as a sub-culture in North America, with writings and art displayed in websites devoted to it, and such. Notable American yaoi series include the web comic Boy Meets Boy by K. Sandra Fuhr, hosted on Keenspace.

If you ever go to Japan, Use the term "BL (Boy Love)" Rather than Yaoi. Yaoi is used in more western countries and is not as oftenly used as "BL".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaoi

nad if u get on irc and ask 'what is yaoi' i have it on an alias... ^_^

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
pigs told me about your love affair.. well he said it was mainly lust but still. he refused to rate you though, what's up with that
Originally posted by babydoll_
me too, must go j-club at unsw.
ooh, what's it like? :p

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Toodulu
pigs told me about your love affair.. well he said it was mainly lust but still. he refused to rate you though, what's up with that

ooh, what's it like? :p
i havent gone yet, tis too late for me (wed 5-7 i think). i think j-belle goes, but basically its a congregation of japanese people and japanophiles (made up a word, haha) who gather together to speak jap :D

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I know what you mean. :(

I was going to open the thread up for responses, but I figured that if she wanted the thread closed then I shouldn't contravene her wishes.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
/me cries!!

farewell yumi, i never got to know you

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
*sigh*

Farewell..Sayonara j-belle

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_
i havent gone yet, tis too late for me (wed 5-7 i think). i think j-belle goes, but basically its a congregation of japanese people and japanophiles (made up a word, haha) who gather together to speak jap :D
hmm...
isn't that just like class but? :p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Platform 19? Dude, that's right next to me, I'm platform 18!

.... ? what the ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)