studying IT at UTS (1 Viewer)

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
hey.. im currently just starting yr 12. Just wondering if theres any UTS IT students out there that have any comments about the courses offered and their experience @ uts. Im just trying to find somewhere to set my goals for over the next 12 months and beyond into uni. Do people find UTS and the IT faculty good or crap?? any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers,
James

T

timbk2

You'll find plenty of us here are studying IT at UTS.

UTS IT faculty has the BEST IT facilities of any university. Depends which course you are looking at, and what kind of area interests you. I am currently doing the B.Sc Information Technology course and currently in my 3rd year. You learn alot of practical experience at UTS IT. Compared to othe uni's the courses are more business focused and have less technical things like programming. The courses are fairly well recognised in the industry and most courses also provide Industrial Training, which im doing now, where you go off an spend a minimum 9 months doing IT work with a company. (and its paid). I find the work experience is great .. i'm going to work for about 14 months.. (currently done 11.5). But yea, if you have any specific questions about IT im sure you'll find help here.

JimmyK

HSC
thanks. Im thinking of doing the B. InfTech but I'm really not sure. Id like to do the internetworking post grad course or the games design if i make it through as well. I'm not really a programming minded guy - but if they give you a bit of background it would help alot.
Where are you doing work exp at?

T

timbk2

B.InfoTech is the scholarship course.

remember only about 20 or so people get in every year.
Only difference is that its a bit more recognised and you get paid a scholarship for it.
however, you need to do 2 half year work placements with 2 companies which is unpaid work. Most graduates are pretty much gauranteed jobs when the finish.

You can choose to Submajor in the field of your choice. There is an Internetworking submajor which gets you on track for CCNA certification

amd64z

HSC
N/A
JimmyK, one thing that I've discovered is that the Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT) is much more restrictive when compared to the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BScIT).
Due to the two sessions of industrial training in the BIT course I believe that you do in fact get very little flexibility in selecting electives and sub-majors, unike the BScIT in which you're given the guidelines and you can model the course the way you want.

As far as I'm aware, you cannot do the Games Programming sub-major within the BIT course, only the BScIT.

Hope this helps (feel free to correct me if necessary)
Patrick

JimmyK

HSC
yeah.. thanks for the advice guys. I'm still not sure what I'd like to do - but im fairly sure id like to go to UTS as it has a good name for all the IT stuff. A few mates of mine and I would like to set up a LAN cafe and computer shop after I've finished uni, and I'd be looking after the networking and PCs which is why i was looking at the BIT (SubMaj Internetworking).

chris42

HSC
Yeah UTS has some good courses, BSCIT is quite good as well, except not scolarship based, as you get a bit more choice on submajors, electives etc. If your thinking of doing networking, UTS is offering Cisco Networking 1, 2, and V WAN's and LAN's and few other network security courses, there's a full list I think if you got to UTS website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)